need Help keeping new juniper bonsai alive in winter.

Pickle

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just got a 6 year old juniper bonsai from Florida. I live in Virginia. I think the Winters are much colder here, so I'm wondering what I need to do to keep this tree alive through the cold season. Do I need to acclimate my bonsai? If so, how would I go about doing that? If not, do I just place it outside on my deck? Does it need shade? I'm new to bonsai and got this as a gift. thank you.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just got a 6 year old juniper bonsai from Florida. I live in Virginia. I think the Winters are much colder here, so I'm wondering what I need to do to keep this tree alive through the cold season. Do I need to acclimate my bonsai? If so, how would I go about doing that? If not, do I just place it outside on my deck? Does it need shade? I'm new to bonsai and got this as a gift. thank you.

Do you have an attached garage by any chance?
You could put it in there for this winter then put it outside in the spring when it gets warmer like in April.

You will need to water it at least once a week in there

Do not keep it in your house, it will be too warm in there
Dont put it outside as it has not had the chance to acclimate to your climate so youll have to keep it a bit protected for this winter only.

Next fall as temperatures get colder, it will know what to do.
Then you can find a better place for it to overwinter once it gets acclimated to the fact that winter is going to happen.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I regularly order junipers from Spain and Portugal and those stay outdoors. They go from positive 18°C to -5°c straight after shipping sometimes.
Never lost anything.

I'm not saying it's a great idea to put them outside but junipers are tough.

Pickle

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes I do have an attached garage that's actually where I have it right now, so I'm glad to know that was a good place! should I open the garage door during the day to let light in? thank you!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes I do have an attached garage that's actually where I have it right now, so I'm glad to know that was a good place! should I open the garage door during the day to let light in? thank you!

I dont think thats necessary honestly. Ive kept juniper in a garage all winter with little to no light and they were fine.
If we have a warm day such as this weekend where temperatures will be above 40, you could put it outside.
This weekend it will be 55 here so I would put it out during the day.

Pickle

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Will do! thank you for helping me out!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please consider adding your location to your profile. Here in Virginia we range from zone 5 through zone 8, so where you are on this spectrum is relevant. I am in zone 6 and if I had just received this plant I would put it in a cold frame, or at very least I would heel it in mulch or soil in a well protected area.
I know a lot of people put their plants in dark unheated garages. I am not a fan.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Please consider adding your location to your profile. Here in Virginia we range from zone 5 through zone 8, so where you are on this spectrum is relevant. I am in zone 6 and if I had just received this plant I would put it in a cold frame, or at very least I would heel it in mulch or soil in a well protected area.
I know a lot of people put their plants in dark unheated garages. I am not a fan.

Yea I used to put my trees in the garage until I built my cold frame.
It definitely works much better. The thing is with this tree coming from Florida where it is warm, I wouldnt want to put it into my coldframe that is getting down to 30 degrees without some kind of acclimation period.
For this year I would put it in my garage that is staying above freezing. You guys are probably a bit warmer though.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yea I used to put my trees in the garage until I built my cold frame.
It definitely works much better. The thing is with this tree coming from Florida where it is warm, I wouldnt want to put it into my coldframe that is getting down to 30 degrees without some kind of acclimation period.
For this year I would put it in my garage that is staying above freezing. You guys are probably a bit warmer though.
I understand but I wouldn't hesitate to put a juniper from Florida in a 30F environment or even colder. Teens might concern me but I still might chance it.

Top Bottom