Need help my bonsai might be dying!

Satsukilover12

Seedling
Reaction score
I bought a Satsuki Azalea bonsai in February. I have been following the same instructions ever since and the bonsai for a long time was looking very good.
During the covid19 situation, I moved it back home and it suddenly started to appear like it is dying.
The leaves and flowers all wilted off.

Recently some green leaves have started growing out however the rest of the branches have appeared to not do so.

Please help me and tell me what I can possibly do.

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 53
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 56
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 58

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
it would help to know your location, you can put it in your profile then it will show up under your name. Where are you keeping this and where was it before when it was doing well? If it was blooming during winter it was probably forced blooming from a greenhouse situation. This tree looks li it has too heavy and too compacted and wet soil. If you combine that with a move to a new location, a forced blooming, and keeping it inside, that is a probable cause. much of the answers about what to do to try to fix and save this plant depends on where you are and your climate.

Satsukilover12

Seedling
Reaction score
it would help to know your location, you can put it in your profile then it will show up under your name. Where are you keeping this and where was it before when it was doing well? If it was blooming during winter it was probably forced blooming from a greenhouse situation. This tree looks li it has too heavy and too compacted and wet soil. If you combine that with a move to a new location, a forced blooming, and keeping it inside, that is a probable cause. much of the answers about what to do to try to fix and save this plant depends on where you are and your climate.

Hi Judy,
I moved it from my indoor office in Brooklyn to my home in Manhattan New York.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This outdoor species is dying the slow death caused by being kept indoors (the laptop on the desk and the window are dead giveaways). The only thing to do is site it outside immediately. Don't overwater. Be prepared to use soil acidifier if you don't get much rain for a while. If it regains its health, then you can address any soil conditions that need it.

Satsukilover12

Seedling
Reaction score
This outdoor species is dying the slow death caused by being kept indoors (the laptop on the desk and the window are dead giveaways). The only thing to do is site it outside immediately. Don't overwater. Be prepared to use soil acidifier if you don't get much rain for a while. If it regains its health, then you can address any soil conditions that need it.

Hi Zach, I have no access to putting the plant outdoors as I do not have an outdoor space. Does window stills work?

Satsukilover12

Seedling
Reaction score
The website I bought it from stated that this could be an indoor plant which was why I got it as I can't put it outside

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Zach, I have no access to putting the plant outdoors as I do not have an outdoor space. Does window stills work?
This guy knows what he is talking about. Take his advice or lose your tree. Your choice. And no the windowsill won't work.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If you want indor bonsainthen get a tropocal plant and plan to work to keep it alive just as you would other house plants. Look at ficus and other tropical bonsai. Be very wary of companies who sell indoor bonsai.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Brooklyn Peeps put Trees on FireEscapes!

Welcome to Crazy!

Don't be upset about it, people do anything to sell things.

It looks on its last flowering leg in the first pic.

Sorce

Satsukilover12

Seedling
Reaction score
so is there anything I can do under these conditions to save the tree at this point?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can you give it some outside time? If so that is a place to start. Gradually introduce it to full sun for the morning hours and see if it will begin to grow again. You need to keep it moist but not wet. If the plant lives, you will need to replace the soil in it when it's healthy enough to do so. Until then you'll just have to be careful about watering it.

bluesky

Mame
Reaction score
Hope you're ok there in NYC. Looks like you've had as tough a time of it as we have here in Madrid.

In the end, your azalea won't survive indoors because it needs much more light and rainwater.

Ficus somehow seem to survive for many years in the lower light of indoors. Another one you could try is Portulacaria afra "dwarf jade" which like more light than ficus but can live on a windowsill for many years. These look like small trees but are really succulents.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
To many of these websites and sellers will tell you that pretty much any tree species can be grown inside as a bonsai. They are all either very ignorant, or just want to make a sale so badly they B.S their pants off!

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Can you have a grow light in your office? Water with rainwater and hook it up with WiFi.

Top Bottom