Need help on Elm shohin

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
tough winter

up where they are outside?

I used to keep mine on a third floor windowsill where the Inside of the window would form an inch of ice. Cold. It didn't kill them.

@Benauber

You have to decide wether your first, semi indoor sometimes hardy chinese elm that looks like every other and may have been greenhoused so you don't know what to do with it but it will die anyway cuz its shit....tree is going to determine your care patterns or use local stuff that don't need all that jazz.

It's a red pill blue pill situation.

This is where the whole, "I carry shit in and out of the garage that doesn't need it" thing starts.
With that bitch ass Chinese elm we never should have bought. It's the absolute beginning of a future hobby full of useless products you never needed in order to find fleeting health in a tree that we never should have bought.

I'd burn it and use the light to find better material.

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
All the Chinese Elms belong outdoors all year and are hardy when mulched over the lip of the pot. They are over-used as indoor trees and under-used as outdoor trees.

Benauber

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Let's just say I have childhood memories of my grandpa's chinese elm. Might not be the easiest for my climate, but I would like to reproduce what I remember.
I am also working on a couple other species from seeds for indoor and two other projects, seeds gathered in the wild. that will stay outside

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you have re-potted you want to give it recovery time. Also the air flow around the tree looks poor, due to cluttered foliage and branches which is the main cause of disease in trees. After the tree recovers you can address airflow and design. Always remember, health first, aesthetics second...always in that order.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Trees that are hardy in your area need the rest period of a winter outdoors.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Let's just say I have childhood memories of my grandpa's chinese elm. Might not be the easiest for my climate, but I would like to reproduce what I remember.
I am also working on a couple other species from seeds for indoor and two other projects, seeds gathered in the wild. that will stay outside
Please fill out your location and hardiness zone in your profile, it will help us with giving any advice.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Nice. I'd try minimal protection, it will probably be fine.

Sorce

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Done - Michigan 6A
Awesome! Well Chinese elm do well outside in the US between zones 5-9 so it would have to be pretty cold for them to freeze. You should be just fine with these in your zone.

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
DB1D293F-AF7E-4F00-8220-509D0690CC9A.png
I’m gonna leave this drake elm right where it’s at. Hope that’s ok

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Set it in contact with the earth and that will modify the temperature of the soil mass and slow the day/night changes. And mulch it with leaves in those months that go below freezing. (OK, January 22 and 23) Don't do it too early so the mice will find winter shelter elsewhere before you supply a nice warm place to munch on bark when it's too cold to go outside. And you won't have to water it if it is on the ground.

While you're at it, edit your architecture when the leaves fall, and do some wiring. You want to remove wood this fall so that all the buds that leaf-out next spring are keepers and useful to your design.

Last edited:
Top Bottom