Need help on English Oak with brown spots.

Jose Fonseca

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi Bonsai team,

Have a question regarding English oak and diseases management. I am seeing brown spots which seem to be "Tubakia Leaf Spot". Everywhere I read about this issue it mentions to not use fungicides. I was wondering if anyone has had this issue? and how they control it? I have add some photo for you to examine.

IMG_8023.pngIMG_8224.pngIMG_8223.pngIMG_8222.png

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Fungicides mess up the fungal biome of the oak, and oaks need their fungal biome.
But hydrogen peroxide and copper sulphate (as a spray on the foliage and never the roots) could help.
Then again, oaks lose their foliage every year and it'll be gone by winter.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This could be a lot of things. Your location would help advice.

Jose Fonseca

Seedling
Reaction score
This could be a lot of things. Your location would help advice.
Thanks for point that out I should have added it to the message above. I am located in Morton Grove a suburb near Chicago, Illinois.

Jose Fonseca

Seedling
Reaction score
Fungicides mess up the fungal biome of the oak, and oaks need their fungal biome.
But hydrogen peroxide and copper sulphate (as a spray on the foliage and never the roots) could help.
Then again, oaks lose their foliage every year and it'll be gone by winter.
I have both of these products. I will wipe a certain leaves with one and other leaves with the other see if I notice any difference. Thanks for the information.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you looked at wild oaks growing in the forest? These kinds of things are normal this time of year. The leaves aren't meant to last. I wouldn't treat a tree like this and just let it shed its leaves in autumn.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Sorry, can’t help with the spots. Seems all my trees have some leaf damage these days. 🤨
Great tree though. I would love to have an oak like that!
Any idea of the age?

Jose Fonseca

Seedling
Reaction score
Sorry, can’t help with the spots. Seems all my trees have some leaf damage these days. 🤨
Great tree though. I would love to have an oak like that!
Any idea of the age?
The tree was collect on a side of a building in California as a seedling 30years ago. Then was planted here in Illinois to grow as a bonsai and 3 years ago was potted into that container. So I would say about 31 years in the making.

Top Bottom