Need help on my maple. To chop or not to chop

memehongkong

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Hello All,

Please do judge me 😢. I have messed up on my nice Japanese maple. It is over 7ft tall and have beautiful foliage early this year. I tried to do too much work to it and the unusual summer heat in Southern California almost kill it.

Anyways, the top part of the tree is dying (all turned black). Only the bottom part has some new growth (see the red line).

The question is should I do nothing until next season, or chop it off at the red line. If I can save the tree it can become a good pre-bonsai with thick trunk.

Let me know your thoughts. I'm in saving mode for the tree. Thanks.

IMG_3769.jpg
IMG_3768.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What did you do or not do to get it in such terrible condition?
I would have someone local to you look at the damage. If it is infected with a bacterial blight or a fungus, you may not have anything to save.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also, can you tell where this damage ends relative to the graft? May not want to save it that's all that is alive.
Sorry to see this, good luck.
B

memehongkong

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I was making a lot of air layered during the summer, maybe some of the cuts damage it or my knife is not clean? Also we have 2 weeks in Southern California over 100+, I did cover it with shades but all the leaves go burned.

Probably leave it the way it is now.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was making a lot of air layered during the summer, maybe some of the cuts damage it or my knife is not clean? Also we have 2 weeks in Southern California over 100+, I did cover it with shades but all the leaves go burned.

Probably leave it the way it is now.
If you keep it as is it would be prudent to keep other maples away from it. She may have started something that could spread to other maples.
Did your air layers take?

memehongkong

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Also, can you tell where this damage ends relative to the graft? May not want to save it that's all that is alive.
Sorry to see this, good luck.
B
It ends at where the red line is. There is a small lower branch right underneath the red line. New growth started to come up in the last 2 weeks.

memehongkong

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
If you keep it as is it would be prudent to keep other maples away from it. She may have started something that could spread to other maples.
Did your air layers take?
I have other maples in my backyard and they are doing fine. None of the air layers on this tree take roots.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The black bark is an indication of systemic infection. It seems to enter through cuts, especially where conditions are wet. I suspect the layers have introduced it.
I have not seen this cured but sometimes it can be stopped by removing infected parts. I don't hold out much hope for saving it but always worth a shot if you think the stump might be worth saving. Try chopping the trunk below any obvious infection, seal the cut and cross fingers. Fungicide won't hurt if you have some and may even help.
I'd be with the others and get rid of it completely but then I have plenty of material to fall back on.
Make sure you disinfect all tools and dispose of infected tree parts.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Disinfecting tools is critical. Thanks for mentioning @Shibui

I wipe down all tools used with 70% isopropyl alcohol between trees. Note: 70% will be more effective than 90% alcohol, the 70% penetrates and disinfects more effectively. Technique is used in meristematic tissue labs, and propagation greenhouses.

Top Bottom