need help picking out a pot

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Windy day today - went outside to find this tree on the ground with its pot broken in pieces...

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I couldn't find exactly the pot I was looking for, but this one comes close. It is a little too formal for me - I would prefer a rougher finish for this tree. However the height, width, and planting position work.

IMG_0325a.jpg

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are a few ideas for ya.

Regards,
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0327b1.jpg
    IMG_0327b1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0327b2.jpg
    IMG_0327b2.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0327b3.jpg
    IMG_0327b3.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 23

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
interesting - I actually had a much smaller pot in my mind - almost dish-like - to enhance the bunjin appearance. I din't it interesting that you both chose a slightly deeper/wider pot. I initially thought of a drum pot but decided I'd try to find something more original.

Thanks a lot for the input I really appreciate it and I love virtuals.

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought that the tree looked a bit cramped in the pot shown in your photos.

The three options I posted are all round pots and give (at least to me) a more open feeling. To me, this tree is well suited for a nice round pot.

In regards to the depth of the pot, I went with slightly deeper pots because I am not familiar with the horticultural requirements of this particular species of tree. You should be able to use a slightly shallower pot if the tree can tolerate it.

By the way, nice tree. I like the direction you are going.

Paul

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
interesting - I actually had a much smaller pot in my mind - almost dish-like - to enhance the bunjin appearance.

I agree with you, the pots shown in the virtuals are not a good match, in my opinion. Paul's pots are too deep and large, and the placement in a round pot should be close to the center, not dead center but just slightly off center.

Your original pot is better than all of them, so far, except that it is too box-like, with its vertical side.

A shallow, dish-like pot would be the perfect fit, the diameter of the rim should be about 25% wider than your current one - you got it in your last post. Don't even think about anything else.

This is, of course, just my opinion, but oval pots on a bunjin tree look very amateurish to me.

Very nice tree, by the way, it looks like those "artless" trees that do not pretend to be a bonsai, but rather a tree. Lots of natural grace.
Just make sure that you keep the foliage as close to the trunk as possible, don't let it get further away from it. And I would also not let the branches elongate any further. It looks like the top is getting a little bushy, I would thin it out to be like the rest of the tree. A sign of great age is when the top of the conifer gets thin and shows a sign of weakness. This means that the tree is not growing any higher. When the top is strong and bushy, it means that the tree is still young and is in the process of growing much taller.

With time, this will develop into a very respectable bunjin.

Last edited:

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shallower maybe, but you really need something large enough to physically anchor this tree so that it will not fall over in the breeze. The pot needs to be at least as long as the footprint of the right hand branches.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 16

rajputana

Seedling
Reaction score
Windy day today - went outside to find this tree on the ground with its pot broken in pieces...

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

Hi
Nice Pics It is a little too formal for me - I would prefer a rougher finish for this tree.

Top Bottom