Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to bonsai and was gifted a Chinese Elm back in May. I am living in the DC area and do not have anywhere outdoors to keep it, so it has been fully inside for the last 5 or so months.

For the first 4+ months I kept it in a window that got moderate sunlight with a growth light on it for 10 hours a day to ensure it got adequate light. I have been watering when the soil is nearly dry (every 1-3 days) and keeping it away from any vents so that it does not get a draft from the AC. Recently, the leaves began browning and I thought that with the warm temperatures in DC and the fact the AC had been on more frequently the bonsai might be struggling in a cooler environment. As a note, I was away many weekends this summer and it seemed like the bonsai always looked its best on Sundays when I returned after having the AC off for 2-3 days at a time. Recently I have been in town more, so the bonsai didn't get that.

I had read a good amount how Chinese Elms can do well in a greenhouse because of the humidity, so I made an Ikea greenhouse cabinet. Pictures are below (the soil is damp because I watered today for the first time in about a week), but there is a humidifier, fans and LED lights (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082PJJC8S?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details) that are on for 8 hours per day. As the leaves have continued to brown and fall off (they are pretty crisp), I have decreased the watering and hoped that the bonsai would bounce back a little in its humid environment. This has not happened, so I'm looking for some advice on where I may have gone wrong but also on what I can do to make sure it survives through the fall and winter. Any help is appreciated!

I am also planning to get more plants to put in this greenhouse, but wanted to get the bonsai on the right track first. Any suggestions on what to add / avoid in terms of sharing a space with a bonsai is also appreciated!

Thank you!

Attachments

• unnamed (6).jpg
    unnamed (6).jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 66
  • unnamed (5).jpg
    unnamed (5).jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 59
  • unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 58
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 58
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 57
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 62

TreeFrenKen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
This looks like spider mite plant damage and webs. If you can see the webs, they’re everywhere, sucking the life out of your plant and any other tasty+healthy plants on the property. I’m sorry to say, this will be a tough battle, you “mite” have already lost :(

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yup, bad bad insect infestation.

I don't see any leaves that are contributing to the plant, if it were mine I would remove all the dead leaves and clean the structure with diluted neem (or even just a blast of water, pot and soil in a bag to prevent soaking). Perhaps it will push new growth. If it does, you definitely don't want the insects getting ahold of the delicate foliage.

Reaction score
Yup, bad bad insect infestation.

I don't see any leaves that are contributing to the plant, if it were mine I would remove all the dead leaves and clean the structure with diluted neem (or even just a blast of water, pot and soil in a bag to prevent soaking). Perhaps it will push new growth. If it does, you definitely don't want the insects getting ahold of the delicate foliage.
Thank you very much. I just purchased some Neem and will do this. Is there a way to prevent this moving forward, either with this tree if it makes it or any future trees?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The issue is more likely the crummy soil the tree is in. Insects are a symptom, not typically a cause, of this kind of thing. The soil is too fine and looks to be quite soggy (and is probably staying that way if you're submerge watering it).

TreeFrenKen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Make sure you constantly keep everything clean after you treat your tree. (Beautiful btw) Those things are microscopic, so even when you think they’re gone, act like they’re still there. The soil etc might cause problems to attract things like this, but they are also attracted to thriving plants that get low maintenance.

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Washington DC. DC ARBORETUM IS BEHIND MY HOUSE!
I live in DC as well but I have space to leave my elm outside. If this guy does make it, you can get good soil from Wolftrap Nursery or Merrifield gardens. Meehans makes soil blends for decidious and conifers and it is sold at these nurseries. Repot in Spring.

Reaction score
This looks like spider mite plant damage and webs. If you can see the webs, they’re everywhere, sucking the life out of your plant and any other tasty+healthy plants on the property. I’m sorry to say, this will be a tough battle, you “mite” have alre

Make sure you constantly keep everything clean after you treat your tree. (Beautiful btw) Those things are microscopic, so even when you think they’re gone, act like they’re still there. The soil etc might cause problems to attract things like this, but they are also attracted to thriving plants that get low maintenance.
This is helpful, thank you!

Reaction score
I live in DC as well but I have space to leave my elm outside. If this guy does make it, you can get good soil from Wolftrap Nursery or Merrifield gardens. Meehans makes soil blends for decidious and conifers and it is sold at these nurseries. Repot in Spring.
How does it do outside? And I appreciate that! I left it in the soil it came in, but if it makes it to the Spring I'll repot and get soil from one of those. Thanks!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How does it do outside?
Outside is where it belongs. If you don't have an outdoor space you should consider selling it (if you can find a buyer) and getting a plant that will do well inside.
This comes up all the time here. Dozens of post have been about keeping these inside. The people who make these posts tend to fade away. This should tell you something.
Just look in the archives (search).

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Washington DC. DC ARBORETUM IS BEHIND MY HOUSE!
How does it do outside? And I appreciate that! I left it in the soil it came in, but if it makes it to the Spring I'll repot and get soil from one of those. Thanks!
It does very well outside. I leave it out all year. Sadly, @penumbra is right about them needing to be outside to thrive. I would look into portucala afra or ficus.

thebonsaiproject

Yamadori
Reaction score
I've treated some elms very poorly over the years but they have always bounced back so I have faith if you treat it.

Top Bottom