need help styling japanese holly.. thoughts and opinions??

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
When I bought this plant from the nursery it already had this shape going for it.. It was in poor health but I think I've nursed it back enough to be worked on in the upcoming season. I've used (really shitty) guy/guide wires to form some "pads" out of the branches but the two top branches stick straight up, not really sure how to go about that? Idk if I should thin it out this season even further, or to just let it grow out and do it's thing. I actually like the branch structure and I know I need lower branches but what do you guys thibk? Also, I have some weird stuff going on down at the trunk, even tho it has great nebari. I have two stumps where branches had been cut before I bought it. I'm clueless as to the direction I wanna take with that.. Maybe a jin?? Any thoughts or opinions would be really helpful and apprexiated . don't hold back! I need so,e insight, thanks!! I am new to this forum and have been "doing" bonsai for about 15 months now. Can someone please tell me how to upload pics? As this post is incredibly irrelevant without them. Thanks.

bennybenben

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
When I bought this plant from the nursery it already had this shape going for it.. It was in poor health but I think I've nursed it back enough to be worked on in the upcoming season. I've used (really shitty) guy/guide wires to form some "pads" out of the branches but the two top branches stick straight up, not really sure how to go about that? Idk if I should thin it out this season even further, or to just let it grow out and do it's thing. I actually like the branch structure and I know I need lower branches but what do you guys thibk? Also, I have some weird stuff going on down at the trunk, even tho it has great nebari. I have two stumps where branches had been cut before I bought it. I'm clueless as to the direction I wanna take with that.. Maybe a jin?? Any thoughts or opinions would be really helpful and apprexiated . don't hold back! I need so,e insight, thanks!! I am new to this forum and have been "doing" bonsai for about 15 months now. Can someone please tell me how to upload pics? As this post is incredibly irrelevant without them. Thanks.

when you post something, in the bar on top near the big A, there is a picture of a little tree and then you click on that and upload your pic.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
when you post something, in the bar on top near the big A, there is a picture of a little tree and then you click on that and upload your pic.

Huh? Not on MY computer.

Just scroll down the page until you find "Manage Attachments". Click, then follow the prompts.

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Huh? Not on MY computer.

Just scroll down the page until you find "Manage Attachments". Click, then follow the prompts.

Hey guys I figured out since I was using a tablet, the website is in mobile view for me so I do not have either of the two. Ive been having to use my cell phone and it works, but the pictures always come out sideways once I upload them to manage attatchments. I guess I forgot to come back to this post. I could use my parents laptop but they have inherent explorer, which is incompatible with this site.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I just went to IE10 and had no problem with the site, including pictures.

Cell phones may end up being the death of the World Wide Web. like the WWW was the end of Listserv mailing lists.

Top Bottom