Need help to give style to a bougainvillea

jose

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello all
I need giving style to a bougainvillea

If the question its out of place please tell me, I just wanna know if the style (the way I place the trunk) looks good.

Also in the picture you can see some arrows the red shows that that branch its going up ( when i buy some wire ) so the main trunk (blue color) can be seen, the teal color ill lower that branch and the yellow .... here ill let it grow and see what I can do with it.

Any suggestions/opinions?

attachment.php

attachment.php

jose

Sapling
Reaction score
Can you see the pictures now?

Attachments

• attachme'lnt.jpg
    attachme'lnt.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 59
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 58

mickaus

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks that is much better.

It looks like it has lots of potential.

- It is hard to see in the picture but it looks to me like you may have to remove the whole teal branch because of where it is growing from.

- Letting the yellow grow is a great idea but you might need to shorten it a little further to bring the eventual foliage closer to the trunk.

- As for the Red/Blue area I think it may need to be shortened as well. The foliage is just too far away from the trunk.

This is just my opinion though, go slow don't risk the health of the tree and make it one you would like looking at.

Last edited:

jose

Sapling
Reaction score
I just noticed something the branch inside the curve ( the second branch) needs to go right?

jose

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks that is much better.

It looks like it has lots of potential.

- It is hard to see in the picture but it looks to me like you may have to remove the whole teal branch because of where it is growing from.

- Letting the yellow grow is a great idea but you might need to shorten it a little further to bring the eventual foliage closer to the trunk.

- As for the Red/Blue area I think it may need to be shortened as well. The foliage is just too far away from the trunk.

This is just my opinion though, go slow don't risk the health of the tree and make it one you would like looking at.
:) we posted at the same time

so yea the teal branch need to go Crap ...
and how mush you think I need to shorten the rest of the branches?

mickaus

Seedling
Reaction score
It's hard to say but I would shorten them slowly and see how it looks at each point, you can always shorten it further at a later date.

PS I have never grown a bougainvillea so I'm afraid I wont be much help with what time to cut/how hard you can cut them back in one go.

Reaction score
jose, where are you from ??? reason being, that it helps the rest of us know what your growing conditions are like, so that we may be able to help you with your questions, you might fill it out in your profile listing, so you won't have to keep answering...
Bougies, can be cut back very hard, so cut where you want... having said that, I don't know how much longer you have in your growing season(till winter comes), since I don't know where you live...
so, you might want to wait til early spring...
put the cutting in a pot with some damp spagnum moss, packed tight, out of the sun and water about once a week, make sure it does not get to damp, and it will put out roots.

jose

Sapling
Reaction score
Im From Puerto Rico
and ill t fill out my profile listing soon ty for telling me that
I made 1 cut ill post the pic soon .... still I dont know what stile I should do in a Bougain dose any one knows if Fukinagashi gose with bougains?

jose

Sapling
Reaction score
This is an update Any knew ideas ???
I'm thinking on "forgetting about it" and let it establish on his pot and .... don't know when continue stilling.

edited part**
in one of the cuts i was able to count the rings.... I got 6 so this this plant it has 6 years on his original pot right?
with me it only has like 3 weeks tops

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 32
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 30
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 22
  • top2.jpg
    top2.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

mickaus

Seedling
Reaction score
Since you have only just gotten it and it has been cut back already, I would say that leaving it for a while is a pretty good idea, you can never be too cautious...

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Personally, I'd straighten it to an upright position,m and cut all the branches back to stubs. They're too long a "wavy" now, and the sweeping curves in the trunk don't do a lot for me as a semi cascade.

jose

Sapling
Reaction score
@JKL Some thing like this .... edited picture?

Ho and BTW i was thinking on a Fukinagashi stile not a semi cascade
But I'm the Noob here.

Any other opinions?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 14

jose

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello again and please excuse me if I am bordering too much.:eek:

I have not move the bougainvillea to the up position or cut it back more, because I what her to develop some roots and get strong before y do something else.

The thing is that its starting to grow in some places and ill like to show you guys and ask,

Do I need to eliminate that new grow in that area next to a hollow? I think so.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 6
Top Bottom