Need help with a fukien tea

Dl.Fane

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello everyone! 5 months ago i purchased a fukien tea from a store close to me. The foliage was plenty, small green leaves, it was really cute. Brought it home and after a week most of the folliage fell and some leaves had black spots. I used some pesticide, leaves didn't make those black spots anymore, but most of the foliage was gone. Kept watering it once a week when surface was getting dry and when particles woudln't stick to my finger when sticking it in like 1-2cm. After some time, leaves starting to appear. Many of them, not plenty, though the foliage was recovering pretty good. Howerever the leaves were huge compared to what i've seen. Leaves kept getting big. Left it like that, kept watering, feeding too, once at two weeks with liquid fertilizer.

Things were going good when the leaves started to fall again. Now it is again looking terrible. Cut off some dead branches, kept feeding, watering with the same regime. The bonsai is on my desk next to a window. It isn't right in front of the window but i gets good light. The leaves are not brown, yellow or black but they just fall off. I have to mention that in the mornings and at night i leave the window open while i shower for ~15 mins but the window is not fully closed. Now the bonsai keeps making "berries", they dont flourish and die after some time. This time it has some berries that survived till now.

Maybe there is someone who can help becuase i 've not seen anything helpful on the internet. Have a good day!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-04-27 at 10.44.23 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-27 at 10.44.23 (1).jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 42
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-04-27 at 10.44.23.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-27 at 10.44.23.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 44
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-04-27 at 10.44.22.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-27 at 10.44.22.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 42

Versal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Larger leaves is probably caused by a combination of fertilizer and lower light conditions. Fukien like lots of lights. If it's not possible to put it outside, putting it closer to the window may help

I would recommend picking off the budding flowers so the tree doesn't waste energy while it tries to recover.

Dl.Fane

Seedling
Reaction score
Larger leaves is probably caused by a combination of fertilizer and lower light conditions. Fukien like lots of lights. If it's not possible to put it outside, putting it closer to the window may help

I would recommend picking off the budding flowers so the tree doesn't waste energy while it tries to recover.
Now some leaves become a little yellow with some yellow spots on them. I really don't understand what's going on with this bonsai

Versal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yellowing can mean underwatering or overwatering. Usually I see new growth also falling off if it's overwatering

The soil looks pretty compact so 1-2cm deep may not be enough to tell you when to water. Perhaps you can try the chopstick method where you stick a chopstick or toothpick into the middle of the soil. Once the end of the chopstick is dry, it is time to water.

Dl.Fane

Seedling
Reaction score
yellowing can mean underwatering or overwatering. Usually I see new growth also falling off if it's overwatering

The soil looks pretty compact so 1-2cm deep may not be enough to tell you when to water. Perhaps you can try the chopstick method where you stick a chopstick or toothpick into the middle of the soil. Once the end of the chopstick is dry, it is time to water.
I am really skeptical when talking about recovering... Don't know why out of the blue it began to go bald when nothing has changed

Versal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am really skeptical when talking about recovering... Don't know why out of the blue it began to go bald when nothing has changed
Fukien tea are very finicky. Since it's been inside this whole time, it could be lacking light for the past couple months. These types of deficiencies may not show effects the next day, sometimes it takes weeks or months to realize what the problem is

Don't be too pessimistic. As long as there's still new growth it's possible for recovery. Even branches that lose all of its leaves may still be alive and recover. You can scratch the bark and if it's green inside it's still alive

Dl.Fane

Seedling
Reaction score
Fukien tea are very finicky. Since it's been inside this whole time, it could be lacking light for the past couple months. These types of deficiencies may not show effects the next day, sometimes it takes weeks or months to realize what the problem is

Don't be too pessimistic. As long as there's still new growth it's possible for recovery. Even branches that lose all of its leaves may still be alive and recover. You can scratch the bark and if it's green inside it's still alive
Some leaves began to grow. On one brach there are like 3 leaves coming from the same spot and another one growing between them. Should i remove the others and leave only 2 of them or let them grow like that?

Versal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some leaves began to grow. On one brach there are like 3 leaves coming from the same spot and another one growing between them. Should i remove the others and leave only 2 of them or let them grow like that?
Keep all the leaves for now. You will want more leaves to let the tree recover. Only remove the flower buds

Dl.Fane

Seedling
Reaction score
Keep all the leaves for now. You will want more leaves to let the tree recover. Only remove the flower buds
Should i use fertilizer or only water? People said to leave it for now and also remove the rocks

Versal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should i use fertilizer or only water? People said to leave it for now and also remove the rocks
Yeah I would only water for now. Once it's stable then you can restart fertilizing

Top Bottom