Need help with an ID

Reaction score
This tree is three years old, grown from a seed. Not sure what species because it was supposed to be an olive but that is not the case. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 36

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It is always difficult to ID young trees. Many species have different characteristics when they are young.
Not sure where in the world you are or where you got the seed but that seedling has some characteristics of Brachychiton which are Australian natives.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help! I live in Colorado and the seeds shipped from China. Really appreciate it!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Leaves are a bit weird, but I think its a Trident Maple.

Actually.....
Upon a better look.....I mistook what I was seeing....not sure about that one.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you are in the USA, don't waste money on crap seed imported from sketchy Chinese Ebay sellers. There are quite a number of reliable seed suppliers that have real world, brick and mortar companies in North America. Ebay sellers of seed often purchase out of date, expired seed from more reputable companies, or they just pack "any old seed" into envelopes and ship it know by the time the buyer figures out they were victims of petty fraud, they will be long gone, money moved and no way for you to lodge a complaint or get your money back.

Besides, seed is the "slow route" for bonsai. Google California Bonsai Suppliers. European olive trees, dug up from California olive groves are a staple of California bonsai. You can get 40, 50 or even 100 year old stumps of olive trees from California bonsai suppliers if you are interested.

For reliable seed companies I have had excellent experience with:

You are in Colorado, there are excellent opportunities to hike out into the mountains and collect your own trees. A number of Colorado natives make excellent bonsai, including Ponderosa pine, Limber pine, Pinion pine, Rocky Mountain Juniper, Any of the spruces, and many, many others. Look into joining the Denver Bonsai Society, even if too far away to attend in person, they are a good clearinghouse of Colorado orientated information.

Reaction score
Thank you everyone very much for the help! Will be using domestic suppliers for seeds in the future, thank you Leo. As for growing Bonsai from seed, I know it isn’t the fastest rout but I love the commitment and process of starting from nothing and ending with something amazing years down the road.

Top Bottom