Need Help With Azalea

Gordon M.

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
One of my Azalea seems to be developing black/brown tips. Does anyone have experience with this? Is this fungal?

Photo Aug 22, 10 42 47 AM.jpgPhoto Aug 22, 10 43 20 AM.jpg

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If that is the only symptom, it is almost certainly not fungal. All of the fungal infestations [other than powdery mildew] have accompanying symptoms on trunk or branches, and involve structural changes in the leaves, such as wilting, thickening, etc. Assuming you have good drainage and are watering consistently, I would say it's sunburn from the look of the photos. Frost damage can look like that, but that's unlikely given where you're located.
If Leo's watching, he may have a more definitive opinion.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Have you let this azalea dry out to the point that the leaves are all droopy?

Gordon M.

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If that is the only symptom, it is almost certainly not fungal. All of the fungal infestations [other than powdery mildew] have accompanying symptoms on trunk or branches, and involve structural changes in the leaves, such as wilting, thickening, etc. Assuming you have good drainage and are watering consistently, I would say it's sunburn from the look of the photos. Frost damage can look like that, but that's unlikely given where you're located.
If Leo's watching, he may have a more definitive opinion.

I water it consistently, but the soil is pretty shit. It was past repot season when I purchased it this year. I decided to wait until next spring, which I regret now. Could access water retention be the issue?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
When there's root rot the leaves will all look dry and all will be drooping. Do a google search and you will understand what I mean.

It looks like they got burned. Is in it full sun? Partial sun?

Gordon M.

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They don't that's why I was asking. It doesn't look fungal to me. It looks like they got burned.

What bothers me is that this sits next to two other Azaleas, in a semi-shaded area, and all of them have the same exposure to sunlight. The other two do not seem to have any issues. I understand that there are multiple other factors in play. But, if it was sunburn, wouldn't the others show at least some signs, too?

Gordon M.

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
When there's root rot the leaves will all look dry and all will be drooping. Do a google search and you will understand what I mean.

It looks like they got burned. Is in it full sun? Partial sun?

Partial Sun.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hard to say if the leaves are going through their normal life cycle. What gets me is that I see even new growth with dead tips. Did you spray anything on them?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You didn't spray, it didn't dry out, it didn't get burned, it doesn't look fungal, it doesn't look like it's been attack by mites or leafminers......I would say the soil is staying to wet. Try watering less often.

At this point you can cut the leaves to remove the brown spots but risk the plant catching something with all the cut leaves or just remove them. You'll have plenty of leaves next season.

Azaleas like their roots moist not wet.

Gordon M.

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You didn't spray, it didn't dry out, it didn't get burned, it doesn't look fungal, it doesn't look like it's been attack by mites or leafminers......I would say the soil is staying to wet. Try watering less often.

At this point you can cut the leaves to remove the brown spots but risk the plant catching something with all the cut leaves or just remove them. You'll have plenty of leaves next season.

Azaleas like their roots moist not wet.

Thanks, that helps a lot. I'm going to pay close attention to it's watering, moving forward, until I have an opportunity to repot.

Thanks, again!

KLSbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Phytophthora can also appear as a drying out of leaves. The new growth in pics show some leaves with a chlorotic look to them. From your comment it is in bad soil, does that mean nursery soil still? If so it will be holding more water than you have in the others. I would pull it from the pot and look at the roots. The older leaves slightly resemble a phytophthora look to them. With the humidity we've been having in Atlanta this likely as I have been seeing it in new plants at my job. It doesn't hurt to treat azaleas preventatively for pythium and phytophthora during our summers. I use a phosphoric acid based product called Rysyst. You can find the same active ingredient in a product called agri-phos.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
We already know the soil is shit. That can affect how the water penetrates the root ball. Azaleas have very fine roots which can also impede water penetration. In my experience, even though you think you are watering well the water is not actually soaking right into the centre of the root ball. This happens even more when trees become root bound. If the azaleas on either side are in good mix and have recently been repotted the water will soak in much better so they will have adequate moisture all day. water will only soak into a root bound pot a short distance leaving the inside of the root ball drier each day until the tree shows signs of water stress or dies. All this is from personal experience and post mortem after the trees were dead.

There is a slight possibility the soil is too wet but far more likely too dry in summer. Even one day is enough to burn leaves.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I bought an azeala earlier this year that had spent most, if not all, of its life under some protection, ie shade cloth and enclosed.

When I brought it home and put it outside in partial sun, I got very similar leaves.

Is this a new purchase for you? Do you know how it was grown before you bought it?

As for mine, all the new growth has come in green and has not burned, so I’m not real worried about it.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Assuming that did happen, what do you suggest I should do now to remediate that?
Don’t let it dry out again. They don’t want to be soggy, but the roots are so fine, they can’t handle drying out at all. Good soil and good watering habits are an absolute must for keeping azaleas happy. My Satsuki are in Kanuma soil, AM sun, then mostly shade after about 10:00. They get watered 1-2 times per day and misted in the afternoons when they don’t need to be watered. 100% Kanuma soil provides them even moisture and makes the margin of error for watering a bit wider.
D085F5DA-30E8-4627-AB1E-3A5C32939995.jpeg

Gordon M.

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Phytophthora can also appear as a drying out of leaves. The new growth in pics show some leaves with a chlorotic look to them. From your comment it is in bad soil, does that mean nursery soil still? If so it will be holding more water than you have in the others. I would pull it from the pot and look at the roots. The older leaves slightly resemble a phytophthora look to them. With the humidity we've been having in Atlanta this likely as I have been seeing it in new plants at my job. It doesn't hurt to treat azaleas preventatively for pythium and phytophthora during our summers. I use a phosphoric acid based product called Rysyst. You can find the same active ingredient in a product called agri-phos.

Thank you for your advice. I am going to do this!

Top Bottom