Need help with broken branch please

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I recently bought a pretty nice mugo tree that has been nicely developed and has about a 3.5" truck. It had some wire on it when I bought it and was unaware that one of the main branches had been broken in the past and then kind of wired up so as not to be sagging down and coming clear off. The branch is actually healthy, but I would like to re-attach it all the way around if possible. At present, I think it is loose aprox 60% down from top to bottom. The picture that I have attached shows the gap with me pushing down on the outside of the branch. Can I assume that before I can get it to heal back together like it once was that I would have to get both pieces down to fresh wood. The branch where it is broken is about 1" in diameter. I have a role of grafting tape to tie it back together when it is ready. Any help as to how I would do this would be appreciated. Thanks, Peter

And yes, I am aware that someone has left wire on to long at one time on some of the branches.

Attachments

• Mugo Pine_LI.jpg
    Mugo Pine_LI.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 99

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This isn't, per se, a problem. This kind of thing is sometimes done to position a heavy, stiff branch on a downward trajectory. Life continues via the cambium and daughter tissues on the underside of the branch and the gap will eventually close, though it could be a long long time until it happens.

Nevertheless, if you don't like the gap and prefer that the branch point more upward, apply some superglue in the gap and squeeze until it holds. It is pointless to expose the cambium, IMHO, but you can do that if you wish before applying the superglue to the wood and then covering the area with a moisture barrier of your preference for the winter (or several weeks if you delay until next spring to do this).

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’ve also heard of and used superglue too. I’ve used it a few times in fact.

I agree with 0so, glue it and even put something like a bit of raffia around the section to hold it tight (look a bit weird but gives extra confidence and does the job). Might take a while but I’m pretty sure it’d live and join up one day.
As usual, the more that section of tree is left to grow, the faster it’d heal.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
A small wood screw can be used to pull the gap closed. Pre-drill a pilot hole below the branch at an angle that will bridge the middle of the gap, then carefully place the screw until edges of of the break have been pulled together. Make sure that the screw head is beneath the level of the bark, then cover with cut paste. Within a year or three, the wound will close and permanently hide the screw. Lightly abrade the callus of the edges before pulling the gaps together, then cover with cut paste to assist in callus covering the split.

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The gap will eventually heal, even if it is not physically closed now.
If closing that gap means raising the branch to an unacceptable angle I'd leave it supported (wire?) at the current angle and feed it well, maybe allow that branch a little more growth to increase thickening until it heals naturally.

You have a choice - pull the gap closed and it will probably heal closed in a year or 2 OR leave it open and it will probably heal closed in 4-6 years.
Either way, that area is going to be weaker than the rest of the tree for ever. You will need a reminder to never try wiring and bending that branch close to the trunk because it will always break open with minimal bending.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
And thanks for all of the replies. I do appreciate them muchly and I will go to work on it. Peter

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
am aware that someone has left wire on to long at one time on some of the branches.

This looks fine....

But that "branch" I question.

Sorce

Atom#28

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Depending on how much the tree cost, is it worth considering just returning it and look for another mugo?

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Not an option to return it. I will get some pictures of the tree and post ASAP

Top Bottom