need help with ficus rescues

Susanne

Seedling
Reaction score
Recentely I came across 2 neglected ficus trees and decided to take them in. Unfortunately I know very little about caring for them. One is around 2.5ft tall and has long thin branches full of leaves growing only from the base of the trunk. The top is very dry and has tiny trimmed brittle dead stumps without any sign of life. The other one is in better shape. Around 3.5ft tall, also very dry and needs a lot of trimming from top to bottom. It is very loose in its pot and I currently trying to rehydrate it. Can someone please help me on how to get these guys back in shape?20160914_125551.jpg20160914_125602.jpg20160914_125632.jpg

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What type is the soil? Also, add your location to your profile so they know your climate zone.

Susanne

Seedling
Reaction score
I have no idea. But I think they have been in this pot for many years. I will add my location to my profile. I am in the Netherlands

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Before we get into the details, don't panic :) Step back for a moment and consider the needs of this species of tree.

Ficus is a tropical that likes bright light, high humidity, and universally moist, free-draining soil. In order to make these trees as strong as possible, you want to be able to give them as close to this environment as possible. Even in the Netherlands, it would be best if you kept these trees outside as much as possible during the summer and only bring them in when the weather starts to get cold.

The first place to start is to check the health of the root system. Try to slip both trees out of the pots and inspect the roots. Given ficus' propensity to grow strong, extensive surface roots, I expect that you will find both pots packed with roots in a tight ball. Once you can show us the roots, we can talk about next steps.

Top Bottom