Need help with my desert rose bonsaï, stem rot?

Reaction score
Hello and thank you for reading! I think that my beautiful desert rose bonsaï is suffering from some kind of fungus. A couple of weeks ago, the top leaves started to go completely brown, and I realized that the plant was probably in a setting that was too humid for it... I've pruned the leaves and the trunk where the browning had occurred, but it looks like it's continuing to spread and I am really not sure what to do. I've read that a neem oil spray could help fight the fungus, would that be OK to use in this case?

Any words of advice would be really appreciated, thank you so much! Please see the photos attached.

IMG_5901.jpgIMG_5904.jpg
IMG_5900.jpg

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think your problem is likely overwatering. If temperatures are over 20ºC you can water it once a week and it must be full sun.
Mine had the same problems and finally lost all the leaves. I had to stop watering it for some weeks. Now it's growing again:

IMG_20210613_144032.jpgIMG_20210613_144022.jpg

Reaction score
I think your problem is likely overwatering. If temperatures are over 20ºC you can water it once a week and it must be full sun.
Mine had the same problems and finally lost all the leaves. I had to stop watering it for some weeks. Now it's growing again:

View attachment 380458View attachment 380459
Thank you so much for taking the time! Your desert rose looks beautiful, how many years have you been growing it?

I definitely think you are right. I've trimmed the rotten part and will stop watering, for now, to see how it does. I hope it recuperates!

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bought mine 6 months ago. At first I thought it should have to be watered regularly, but what happened was that leaves turned yellow and brown, branches roted,....finally I stoped watering for two months, and now full sun, draining substrate (50% akadama, 50% lava), and a light watering every 1 or 2 weeks (depending on heat). In winter no watering at all. That's my experience so far.
Good luck with yours!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Mine was doing well over the winter but I repotted it recently and I went to check - very soft. The soil was still wet, I think the akadama and the recent rain resulted in it getting too wet for too long. I took it out and gave the roots a Daconil dunk and am leaving it in the sun for 2-4 days. Then I'm planning on repotting into pure pumice or lava rock, as I will be better able to keep the moisture level down and controlled to when I want to be watering it. I hope.

Reaction score
Bought mine 6 months ago. At first I thought it should have to be watered regularly, but what happened was that leaves turned yellow and brown, branches roted,....finally I stoped watering for two months, and now full sun, draining substrate (50% akadama, 50% lava), and a light watering every 1 or 2 weeks (depending on heat). In winter no watering at all. That's my experience so far.
Good luck with yours!!
I hope yours continues to thrive!!
Mine was a gift that came as a "grow it yourself" kit, so I actually planted it as a seed! It's amazing the see the whole process from the very beginning, but I'm realizing how much less water it needs now that it's about 4-5 months old. Will keep you updated, the cut looks rather clean so far, so I hope it fights the fungus off nicely!

Reaction score
Mine was doing well over the winter but I repotted it recently and I went to check - very soft. The soil was still wet, I think the akadama and the recent rain resulted in it getting too wet for too long. I took it out and gave the roots a Daconil dunk and am leaving it in the sun for 2-4 days. Then I'm planning on repotting into pure pumice or lava rock, as I will be better able to keep the moisture level down and controlled to when I want to be watering it. I hope.
Thank you for sharing! Yes it seems that the moisture level is so important. I hope yours gets better soon!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have one that has been in a high organic media for 15 years that is watered everyday it doesn't rain. So much for growing in a bonsai mix.

Top Bottom