Need help with my Orange

edlynch67

Seed
Reaction score
This is the Kinzu Orange (fortunella hindsii), that I got last March. I’m taking off the wire that was put on during the initial styling and some light pinching. Now I’m looking into the future and wondering when is the best time to prune for shape, or even hard pruning? I’ll need to rewire too, but the tree has so many small limbs. Can I defoliate some to get down to the branches? Really don’t want to wreck this tree. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• CIMG3820.JPG
    CIMG3820.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 118
  • CIMG3821.JPG
    CIMG3821.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 100
Reaction score
where do you live, so we know what you weather is like... also, is this tree attached to a rock?

edlynch67

Seed
Reaction score
I live in Sparks Nevada, yes the tree is attached to the rock...I got it from a guy in Sacramento..

Reaction score
I do not have Kinzua, but do have a kumquat... I would say it is starting to get a little late in the year maybe for any heavy pruning, or defoliating your tree... you are kinda further north, and I am not sure how long till it starts getting cold. So, that is something to take into account...
Now, having said that... If it was me I would go ahead and defoiliate as little as possible, but enough to be able to get the work done, that you needed to do... I would take that chance just because I know how impossible it can be with these trees to put any sort of movement into a thicker branch !!! Once this happens and the branches harden off, it is pretty much clip and grow from there on out.
Defoliating it, will hinder any flowering, or fruiting... which I am assuming you are not really worried about, since you are trying to train it anyways.

edlynch67

Seed
Reaction score
Need help with my Orange.

Thank you Stacy, I was hoping that someone from Florida (citrus capitol) would respond to my thread…I think you are right about the defoliating, I’ll cut the leaves in half…Just enough to get the wire on before the new growth hardens off…This dwarf orange fruits like crazy and I’m not worried about loosing a few little oranges…Thanks again and I’ll keep you posted.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have never grown an orange tree like this, or any citrus tree for that matter. I do however winter in Florida and have seen them trim these trees early in the winter or several months later early in the spring, they drive through the groves with those mowers on a boom arm and just mow off the branches and it just grows back thicker. I have seen this done with Florida orange trees, the navel trees, tangelo trees and the grapefruit trees too. They seem to be very hardy trees and grow back quickly, but as I said I know nothing about your tree.

ed

Top Bottom