need help with rescued ficus

Susanne

Seedling
Reaction score
Recentely I came across 2 neglected ficus trees and decided to take them in. Unfortunately I know very little about caring for them. One is around 2.5ft tall and has long thin branches full of leaves growing only from the base of the trunk. The top is very dry and has tiny trimmed brittle dead stumps without any sign of life. The other one is in better shape. Around 3.5ft tall, also very dry and needs a lot of trimming from top to bottom. It is very loose in its pot and I currently trying to rehydrate it. Can someone please help me on how to get these guys back in shape?20160914_125551.jpg 20160914_125602.jpg 20160914_125632.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They seem to have bounced back from any passed neglect.

They look more....on their way back, then on their way out...

That said the soil is probably ok for now.
What is your location?

If you are in Florida you could repot em.

If not...Probly late spring.

Are you salvaging them for bonsai?
They look good!

Sorce

Susanne

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm in the Netherlands actually. The climate is a bit different from California I'm affraid. I don' t think they have evee been repotted so I am reluctant to do so now. How do I get the first one to grow leaves in the top again?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you Are in fact salvaging them for bonsai....you can just cut that one down to the highest branch.

If not....there is a good chance it won't grow up there again, and you may consider selling it for prebonsai material!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh Damn!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Susanne

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes I want to save it. But curting it down to the highest branch would mean cutting it down to almost a stump. Wouldn't that kill it?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Save it yes...but for bonsai?

Either way...that sure won't kill it!

If you want that giant wound to then heal...
It would be best to cut it in spring and leave it outside the whole summer to grow and heal.

Sorce

Susanne

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes for bonsai. I think it has been around for a lonh time and it feels like a waste to just use it for parts. How old do you think they are? I will try your advice. If it does not work I will do some research on how to use it as material. Thank you very much for your help!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Top Bottom