Need help with satsuki azalea bonsai - losing leaves

jcavhs

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4B
I received a satsuki azalea bonsai (basically this one) in January. Posted here for some advice and it seemed to be doing well. Lots of growth. About a month ago I started seeing some flowers. 2-3 weeks ago it started looking less than good. It's leaves are wilted looking and/or falling off.

I haven't really done anything different in the last month aside from not using a grow light (removed it for cleaning and forgot to put it back). But it is in a west facing window an other plants near it are fine. I have kept it inside as my area has been in a heat wave and drought. So AC use has been pretty heavy. I use distilled water since my water is really hard. I have fertilized it using a bonsai fertilizer.

Any ideas/suggestions of what could be going on? I thought possible overwatering as I didn't really change watering habits as we moved from (very dry) winter to spring but I've been checking soil moisture with a moisture meter to ensure that I don't do that for a few days and not seeing any improvement.

IMG_20210622_185938448.jpgIMG_20210622_185933063.jpgIMG_20210622_185928350.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First, It needs to be outside.
It is not an indoor plant
Azalea dont mind being in partial shade.
Mine get morning-early afternoon sun then shade the rest of the day

Second this looks like possibly a fungus

If you are watering on a set schedule, its possible overwatering contributed.
You need to water when the plant needs it not when your schedule allows.
Azalea dont like to be constantly wet. You need to let them dry out a little between waterings but not let them get completely dry
They also dont like having their foliage be wet a lot either.

Did it look like this at all before you brought it inside?
Its possible the change of environment also didnt help

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All of the above ^^^, plus the AC is perfectly terrible for a plant that should not ever be inside.
If it survives you have another problem come winter. Where will you protect it from your winter cold and still give it the dormancy it requires?
Really sorry but it was a terrible choice for you.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

bunjin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I agree with all of the previous comments. In addition, you have chosen to plant it in a small glazed pot or maybe it came in the pot. One thing I have learned about Satsuki is that everything must be optimum for them to survive in a small shallow container. Whatever you decide to do with it, pick it up often, use your finger, or any other method to monitor the moisture level. This is the critical element. - G

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome aboard! So sorry see your azalea fading. I concur with all the above. This lil guy is in a sad state.

When you put it outside please remove the “mist tray’ and toss it. It certainly contributed to the situation.

This azalea won’t stand open sunlight right now. Try to put it in dappled shade mornings and full shade afternoon and evenings. Water sparingly.

Good luck!
DSD sends

Top Bottom