Need help with some bugs!! It's really breaking me!

Reaction score
This starting year so far hasn't been so great to me!! Been doing Bonsai 3 full years now and I haven't had this much trouble ever! Moved to a new property and I have this bug problem and it's driving me insane!!!!!!! Aphids and white flies!! I use store sprays, homemade sprays, and even flushing trees foliage out with water! Everything is good on that specific tree for about 2 weeks and they come back! Also more and more trees are getting bugs and that's why I think they come back on the treated trees Have about 30+ trees that are about 10yrds away from woods and that's the only place I think they could be coming from!! HOW CAN I KEEP THEM AWAY ONCE I GET RID OF THEM!!! That seems to be the problem, I spray them down, things look great, and they slowly come back!! This bug problem is really breaking me down and I can't believe I'm saying this but, it's making me just want to give up and walk away!!! I love this art form and this is my life, but with personal problems in my life and this being my only get away is just making it that harder!!! Any help please!!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Both aphids and whitefly can be controlled by jetting them off the foliage when you water.

But, it is much more effective to just squish aphids with a gentle pinch between your thumb and forefinger right where you find them. The squish easily, so you don't need to bear down so hard as to possibly damage your plant's young growth. Your fingers will become a bit sticky, but this is just their 'honeydew' which is little more than the sugary sap produced by photosynthesis (washes off easily).

An occasional NEEM oil spraying solves my whitefly and scale problems.

Meanwhile, get your towel, Hitchhiker's Guide (to the Galaxy), and have a pan-galactic gargleblaster. :cool:

Reaction score
lol thanks for reaching out. I've done this all and can only control for a small period of time. There's nothing I can put around the trees or even grow near them to keep these bastards from coming near them!?!?

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This started as a very bad year for aphids for me. The usual insecticidal soaps I use iust weren't cutting it. Then, the soldier beetles and ladybug nymphs showed up in force and my problem seemed to vanish overnight. You may want to consider similar controls if they are available at your local farm supply.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Insects thrive when a plant is sick.
Normally, full sun exposure, some breeze and metal stands, will discourage.
Look for ants, if need be destroy their nests, and see of there is anything wrong with your soil conditions.
They love to walk on concrete.

Have you been using too much fertiliser, is the new growth excessive and tasty?

Read up on organic growing.

Try not to build up a practice of various insecticides etc.
Also not good for your breathing or skin penetration.
Good Day
Anthony

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should be able to find a plant to attract Them.

Try tomatoes.

I used to leave the ants, cuz they guide you to the infestation.

But after watching that Mirai Video...
And hearing RN call Aphids dumb...
Like cattle insects...
And the only way they move is ants...

I baited my ant hills.

I feel you bro.

I moved last year and the bugs are insane here!

Keep Fighting!

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Look up predators for your particular bug problem. Then buy them online and release them. I think you'll be better once the summer gets going, aphids are (at least for me) more of a springtime thing. You may need to do multiple things to help, getting rid of ants as Sorce said is something to look at. They farm the aphids. I would also get some crabapple whips, just small ones, put them in containers near your trees. Do not keep them healthy. They will attract the bugs to their new unhealthy foliage.
Good luck and keep the faith!

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've been going through the same thing this year is a year in a new house. My neighbor's trees are infested with everything, I have a palm tree covered in white flies.

I got to the point of my brain about to explode trying to solve it all. But as others have said, I discovered (thanks to my wife in a way) that the bait plants are the best.

She has herbs and I noticed that aphids love cilantro, spider mites all over her mint as well. So I "stole" them from her :p , told her she is horrible at taking care of them, and put them in the back of the yard away from everything and let them stay that way. It has seemed to work for me so far. They don't leave the infested plant. Also when cilantro bolts it attracts even more aphids.

I've done this, applied 12 month systemic (Bayer) to all my trees, and also use soap mixture to wash them about once every week and a half or so. Neem oil once a month. Scan my trees multiple times everyday as well.

I have no science to my approach but it has been working. My trees are doing great.

Don't get too frustrated! The battle with pests can make you want to throw it all out. But if you do, don't walk away just buy all new trees!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Vic N

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5/6
You also have to realize that these pests have a short lifespan, so they grow, breed, and lay eggs in just days. Your spray kills adults, but may have no effect on eggs. Spray every 7-10 days for 3-4 treatments and see if that doesn't do the job. Spray all trees so any eggs laid on host species will also hatch and die.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@StoneCloud ,

look up companion planting.

On our side the Chinese serissa is a magnet for ant and ant carried problems.

As a test a large cutting was planted in a tub of green onions. Nothing would touch it.
Back into a pot by itself, the leaf cutters found it, then the white flies.

To grow the roma tomatoes, we add Basil in the soil to every three plants. Nothing will touch them.
So now the tomatoes grow pesticide free.
Before that a mix of garlic and a very little soap was used effectively.
Good Day
Anthony

* perhaps Basil or other near the palms might clear the area ?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just did a quick check, herbs do a lot of removal of insect pests.
Just planting them next to plants and roots touch.

Hmm might try a chive or two in Bonsai pots.
Let you know how that handles the Serissa or Fukien tea.
Good Day
Anthony

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Lacewings are definitely a good choice if they'll thrive in your area, though they don't really seem effective until the second or third year of inoculating your property with them. I assume the first two batches are getting eaten by local spiders :)

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@StoneCloud ,

look up companion planting.

On our side the Chinese serissa is a magnet for ant and ant carried problems.

As a test a large cutting was planted in a tub of green onions. Nothing would touch it.
Back into a pot by itself, the leaf cutters found it, then the white flies.

To grow the roma tomatoes, we add Basil in the soil to every three plants. Nothing will touch them.
So now the tomatoes grow pesticide free.
Before that a mix of garlic and a very little soap was used effectively.
Good Day
Anthony

* perhaps Basil or other near the palms might clear the area ?

I'm Going to get some basil and a few others. Thank you. I'm going to get more herbs !!

Reaction score
So when ordering bugs, then releasing them there first thing they'll do is want to search for food? I figured letting a bug go there first thing would be let me get the hell away!! Ha ha

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So when ordering bugs, then releasing them there first thing they'll do is want to search for food? I figured letting a bug go there first thing would be let me get the hell away!! Ha ha
They come with instructions. With ladybugs, you wait until evening to release them, then water everything well, so there's water in their environment. Then you sprinkle the ladybugs on the plants/soil. Since it's evening, they won't fly. When they find food, they start laying eggs. You can save some in the refrigerator and re-apply in a few days.

Reaction score
Ok cool. I'm going to look into it right now. So is there anything out there that will keep them away thay I can place around for extra help? Like something they don't like? A lot people saying to get a plant or herb they love so they only worry about that plant, but I don't even like the thought of them even near my trees! Lol. I believe someone last spring said something about keeping little cloves of garlic around the pots or on top of them? I didn't really pay attention because bugs where never a problem then

Top Bottom