Need help with this poor ugly little ficus

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This was actually the 2nd tree I ever bought about 2 yrs ago when I started into bonsai. It was an okay tree at the time, but since I was brand new 2 yrs ago I made some bad mistakes with pruning and wiring and I ended up killing the entire top of the tree. I thought the whole tree was a goner but after trunk chopping it a while back and leaving it outside it has shoot some new branches.

Problem as you can clearly see is that the few branches are is shooting out are sprouting from mainly the same spot (three coming from one spot in the pic).

I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. I know it's going to take a long time to do much with but I'd like to at least try to figure out what could maybe be a future new apex. I was thinking of the branch with the arrow pointed at it would maybe be a new apex (or the one right next to that one) that way the the chop could be hidden behind it and rounded/carved round at a later date?

Any help or ideas on what to do would be appreciated thanks.

JhTbxs.jpg

2UOWJ0.jpg

hX0qgu.jpg

QyZ9gi.jpg

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You've got the right idea. Now, water, fertilize, and LET IT GROW for a couple of years.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I would wire the leader for movement and let it grow...all new branches that are needer will come from the leader.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice restart!

Sorce

Top Bottom