Need help with tree identification

dresdraconius

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hi folks,
Can anyone help identify this tree? I feel this is Mexican plum. Grew next to a lake in TX.
Thanks!

Please ignore the huge pot it was in. I have placed it in a smaller pot now. The root was L shaped and wouldn't fit smaller round pots.

Attachments

• 20200418_194848.jpg
    20200418_194848.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 19

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Not Mexican plum - Prunus mexicana, the Mexican plum has simple leaves, with serrated edges. It does not have compound leaves with 5 leaflets.

Your tree has compound leaves with 5 leaflets. This narrows down possibilities. It could be an ash of one type or another, genus Fraxinus.

It could also be a hickory, genus Carya.

Both Fraxinus and Carya are mediocre to poor subjects for bonsai. I won't say impossible, but they are unlikely to yield satisfying results. Large leaves that don't reduce sufficiently, and coarse branching habit, will not develop a fine twiggy structure.

There is a European species of Fraxinus that does make pretty good bonsai, but "this ain't it".

Whether or not you keep it is up to you. I would not get "future bonsai hopes" up too high.

Had you found a real Prunus mexicana, it does make excellent bonsai, and would be well worth the effort.

dresdraconius

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks for the response Leo. I'll see if it survives.
If it does, I will keep it since I don't have many plants. If not, oh well!

Top Bottom