Need Help

Carpenterb30

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
20201022_152620.jpg20201022_152550.jpg20201022_152531.jpg20201022_152502.jpgok i need some help with some direction on this pine. Any thoughts?? It is a yamadori. I am in the florida panhandle so I believe this to be a slash pine. I've had it potted for 2 years. Just put into this shallow pot a couple of weeks now.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd take off everything on the side above the first branch to work it as your keeper and the rest as sacrifice.
Probly not soon, but maybe wire that growth away for now.

Sorce

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Late in season but maybe can get away with repotting this late in FL. Is bigger trunk desired? If so needs to be grown in ground or large grow box several years. From length of needles best suggestion is to plan on larger size tree. Even with reduction needles likely will be fairly long for scale on any tree smaller than 3 1/2-4' tall. For now tree is in years of development so no rush to Bonsai pot or "final" wiring training for awhile yet.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think you've limited yourself in a couple of ways. First, you've collected a tree w/ pretty limited potential. There's little taper, not much movement, little depth, and poor branch selection. You've also spent 2 years with it, so likely more attached than you were when you saw it sitting in-situ wherever it was. Lastly, you've just repotted the tree out of season and likely more than a standard repot by your indication that it went into a shallow pot.

This is a case where I think your efforts would be better spent learning what to look for in quality stock; yamadori even. (Florida-dori too.). If you want to make something of this tree, it will involve letting it adjust to the repot. Once you see good growth (and that is likely about this time next year), I'd entertain the notion of putting in lots of movement to give this tree some interest. Blocks & rebar & copper wire will be the order of the day.

Carpenterb30

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Late in season but maybe can get away with repotting this late in FL. Is bigger trunk desired? If so needs to be grown in ground or large grow box several years. From length of needles best suggestion is to plan on larger size tree. Even with reduction needles likely will be fairly long for scale on any tree smaller than 3 1/2-4' tall. For now tree is in years of development so no rush to Bonsai pot or "final" wiring training for awhile yet.
No rush at all. I'm only thrilled that it is alive and thriving. Not sure your Temps but its mid 80s here. I'm getting to like larger trees now yes and thank you. This guy is almost 2 ft and about 1 1/2 at the base. I will most likely find a ground spot for it so I can of course enlarge the trunk. Thanks again for being nice. I said a shallow pot but its actually 4 Inches deep. May do a little wiring to gain movement and reduce branch length but nothing drastic.

Top Bottom