Need Loropetalum care suggestions

Joyce2021

Yamadori
Reaction score
I just got a Loropetalum bonsai. Can anyone kindly suggest how much sunlight it needs? Should I move Loropetalum into the shade in the afternoon?

Joyce2021

Yamadori
Reaction score
I just got a Loropetalum bonsai. Can anyone kindly suggest how much sunlight it needs? Should I move Loropetalum into the shade in the afternoon?
Can anyone please provide some suggestions on sunlight? Thank you!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I love fringe flowers.. alas, they are JUST “perfectly” zoned so I cannot grow them. :(

I found this, though.. full-sun, outdoors.

🤓

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Full sun....but we don’t know where you live. They are not a windowsill plant.
Hot and dry climates I would say afternoon shade. In mild climates, they can do some shade but won’t flower much.
Let them dry out a little between waterings. Too much water and you get brown/yellow leaf margins.
They hate wet feet...so free draining soil is a must.
Do not cut back to bare wood, you may lose the branch.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you post a photo and fill your profile out to include your location, folks will be able to help you out a little more. I have a nursery stock loropetalum that I was hoping to use for bonsai, but it doesn't seem to want to backbud lower on the trunk to start a bonsai. Is yours fairly compact?

Joyce2021

Yamadori
Reaction score
If you post a photo and fill your profile out to include your location, folks will be able to help you out a little more. I have a nursery stock loropetalum that I was hoping to use for bonsai, but it doesn't seem to want to backbud lower on the trunk to start a bonsai. Is yours fairly compact?
Thank you, Caffeinated. I am very new to the forum. I live in New York. Just added my location to profile. Will post a photo soon.

Top Bottom