Need opinions on my pot

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Time for a test kiln.
6 refactory bricks and elements or too expensive ?
Can be done as gas, but a 25 lb propane cylinder tends
to freeze.

As you know we love low firing clays.

By the way our vitreous 08 [ 983 deg.c] clay bodies
are weighed for water absorption and also frozen for 3
days.

isn't Pottery great!!!!
Good Day
Anthony

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Saw this reminded of the lipless rivets post.

Not a bad deal eh?

Capture+_2020-01-12-11-21-20.png

Sorce

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
How deep inside is the original pot in this comparison if I can ask. I made mine from a plaster mold that I poured and can cut it down to get a better size. Thanks
@Peter44 I don't know really. I pulled the pic from Google search since it looked similar to yours. But an unscientific measurement shows about a one inch difference based on WxH ratio. Your pic is not leveled so height is a bit off. I overlayed the other pot on top using same "ruler" and it's about 3/4" lower. It could be yours is 9"x3" and the other pot is 9"x2", minus feet. I don't know anything about pots and if there's any set rules, since they comes in all kinds of shapes and size.
PeterPot1-size.jpg

The pot on top right is shaped exactly like yours, except the feet. Food bowl? 🤔 :p
Untitled-5.jpg

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The Chinese tend to use slump molds so they can adorn the outside with decoration.

This is why Chinese pots are a bit more elaborate than Japanese pots.

I figured he answered that question when he said..."you can put your tree in a neon pink pot if you want".

People accept stains and washes but IMO...
Hopefully it is a fad. I can't stand it. It looks worse than blackface. It's ridiculous.

This is true, however....
Most of them won't have proper absorption numbers.
Plus, shipping more than doubles cost.

We're usually left with 1 good clay if we're lucky.

@Peter44 you guys don't have good clay in Oregon?

We only have sedimentary clay here.

Sorce

Hello sorce, Yes we have 2 Laguna clays in the studio (white and red) and I have purchase several other red Laguna clays from a dealer in Boise, Id which is 2 hrs away. When I look at clays, I look at fired colors, grog, sand, and absorption. One of the new clays I purchased and am trying out is Laguna WC-394 SB Red clay. It must have a lot of iron in it as it is pretty red when green and darker red when fired. The pot that I started this thread with is from that clay. It is pretty sandy and one has to watch how you work it while it is still green. It makes you really pay attention and have things pretty right when you make the pot the first time...don't depend on easy sanding/clay removal down the road. The studio clays are WC 436, white, B mix 5 with grog. It is a pretty good mix and works well but obviously needs to be colored for conifers. The studio red clay is WC-403 speckled buff. It is a buff/tan color fired with small, black iron specks in it. I'm not sure the fired color by itself is acceptable for conifers. To me, it is a bit boring. Finding the right clay and settling down with it has become a priority after all this trials with different clays and glazes. I'm pretty particular and this can wear one out and be discouraging at times.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Peter44 more catch 22's with bonsai ceramics than anything else!

Life would be easier if this were a coffee forum! Lol! 2 minute $50 mugs!

Boring is countered with texture but they are supposed to be boring!

I have just recently begun to really experiment with textures. It seems a waste of time so far. 🤷

Sorce

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Here is another Laguna clay that looks interesting for conifers. Could this clay stand by itself and be satisfactory in color for conifers??

Characteristics

Cone: 5
Wet Color: Brown
Fire Color
Oxidation: Warm Brown
Reduction: N/A
Texture: Slightly Coarse
Penetrometer Target: 6.75
Avg. Shrinkage 2±% 12.5%
Avg. Water Absorption 1±% 0.5%
COE x 10-6: 4.86

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here is another Laguna clay that looks interesting for conifers. Could this clay stand by itself and be satisfactory in color for conifers??

Characteristics

Cone: 5
Wet Color: Brown
Fire Color
Oxidation: Warm Brown
Reduction: N/A
Texture: Slightly Coarse
Penetrometer Target: 6.75
Avg. Shrinkage 2±% 12.5%
Avg. Water Absorption 1±% 0.5%
COE x 10-6: 4.86

View attachment 278657
Do you know what the ID number for this clay is?

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Once a year we do that sorce. Wonder if I could do a wood fire in my fire pitt?

Last edited:

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not typical wood firing, but you could definitely pit fire that way! It’s low temperature comparatively so it won’t yield pots strong enough to be good bonsai pots. But you can get some really beautiful surface effects.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I've successfully bisqued stuff in a long fire pit fire.

Next move I'm building this one ish.
c4120c130180091c9331663c6fb83d82.jpg

Sorce

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
My goodness! Do you know what the temp is supposed to get to in a woodfire kiln?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The pot isn't bad in my opinion. Larger drainage hole as everyone else suggested. You just need to find the right sized tree to fit this pot. Imagine a fat shohin pine x100 in size.....I think it will fit that pot nicely.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Peter,

woodfired kilns are what fired porcelain in China back then.
Aim for 1260 / 1280, but 1300 is also achieveable - in c.

Pit firing down here is 750 to 850 deg.c
Gppd Day
Anthony

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Peter44, put a Bonsai in that Spaghetti bowl of yours and let's get a real look....

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I broke it try to erase the stuff nobody liked. No problem. I will make a smaller (shallower) mold and go again, no southwest wavy lines, larger and more drainage holes, and only 2 1/4" deep. It will be on here ASAP

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
I broke it try to erase the stuff nobody liked. No problem. I will make a smaller (shallower) mold and go again, no southwest wavy lines, larger and more drainage holes, and only 2 1/4" deep. It will be on here ASAP

Sounds great and looking forward to viewing it....Sorry that you broke the original....

Top Bottom