Need opinions on styling my new Tiger Bar Ficus

dasickle

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I don't even know where to start with this one.

6.jpg

Just bought a new ficus for a bargain. It needs a lot of work but could potentially be a great add to my collection. I particularly not sure about the top of the tree. it has probably about 30 - 50 small but already hard branches and looks like on of those landscaping tree balls.

Below are some more pics of the tree. Any help would be much appreciated:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Welcome!

I wouldn't worry about styling right now. Since you just got it, and it's not the right time of year, I'd wait until it warms up a bit before you do anything to it. It has to adjust to its new location first.

Also, where in the world do you live?

dasickle

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome!

I wouldn't worry about styling right now. Since you just got it, and it's not the right time of year, I'd wait until it warms up a bit before you do anything to it. It has to adjust to its new location first.

Also, where in the world do you live?

Thanks for your feedback. I am not planning on doing anything to it just yet. I will give it a few months to get acclimated. Just want to get some ideas/plans going ahead of time. I want to put this bonsai in my office at some point.

I am in northern VA.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks for your feedback. I am not planning on doing anything to it just yet. I will give it a few months to get acclimated. Just want to get some ideas/plans going ahead of time. I want to put this bonsai in my office at some point.

I am in northern VA.

Ah, another Northern Virginian....;)

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whats with you Northern Virginians and your damned Ficus' ? Next thing you know you will be like that Ryan guy kicking the wife and kids out on the streets to make room for light/humidity boxes for your Ficus. :rolleyes:

I would massacre that tree, I would remove the top branches and stick them in some coarse sand and get at least three new ones started and grow that bottom leader out and shape all the backgrowth coming from the trunk, afterall is as healthy as a horse right now.

You mentioned putting it in your office, is it your private office that you can supply the proper lighting and watering to keep it healthy in, or will the boss say " No momma no, that won't fly! " Ficus can be grown indoors, much easier if grown like a house plant in a big container but as Bonsai it will need all the benefits of proper lighting and controlled atmosphere to keep it healthy with the limited space it has to grow roots etc.

ed

Top Bottom