Need Some Advice as to What to do with This Zelkova, Please

Dutchland

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This Zelkova Serrata was Over 15' Foot Tall and it was Chopped Once a Few Years Back and The Multi-Shoots Emerged Then.
This Time I Chopped it Just the Last Wound But the 12" Straight Trunk Lacks Character...

Should I:
-Chopped the Trunk a Bit Lower?? (Be Aware There a No Lower Branches, Unfortunately)

-Keep the Full Trunk, and Make the Largest Right Branch a More Upright Leader??

-Keep the Full Trunk, Chop the Largest Branch and Use the Straight Shoots to Form a Broom Style??

zell.JPG zell2.JPG zell3.JPG

Thanks in Advance,

-Dutch

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
If you wanted two trees to span over two seasons, you could air layer the top section now, making an angled girdle and orienting the pot so it is angled so the cut is horizontal to the ground, so the roots grow radially).

Next season you could air layer what’s left to build some decent roots and make a broom out of the bottom section.

724378F6-215F-4D08-A191-8D2BDE9ACB9F.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Seems there are some bumps around 4 that want to branch. So I'd chop it at 5.

But probly not before layering off something or 2 from the top.

That will also prompt those branches to come, which is always recommended before chopping blind.

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The rootage seems one sided. One of the characteristics that make Zelkova desirable as bonsai are the surface roots, which should be evenly spaced and on all sides.

This tree does not appear to have even roots, making it inferior material. It can be fixed, but it’s not worth it. Better to find a better trunk and nebari.

I know that’s not what you want to hear, but it’s the best advice I can give.

Dutchland

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The rootage seems one sided. One of the characteristics that make Zelkova desirable as bonsai are the surface roots, which should be evenly spaced and on all sides.

This tree does not appear to have even roots, making it inferior material. It can be fixed, but it’s not worth it. Better to find a better trunk and nebari.

I know that’s not what you want to hear, but it’s the best advice I can give.

No Worries... I Have About 25 of These and This is the First I Came Across so Far That I Lacked the Vision.
They Can't All be Specimens... But All Have So Sort of Potential.

Dutchland

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Air layer the top section now, making an angled girdle and orienting the pot so it is angled so the cut is horizontal to the ground, so the roots grow radially)

Should I Cut the Larger Branch Back a Bit and Remove All/Most of the Newer Shoots??
Zell4.png

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i recently saw a 7 year progression on one of these, as they say no risk without reward.
its a little late in season to do a trunk chop, sometimes it can take up to 6-8 weeks to see a reaction. i would say you have the weekend to decide as still a few days left in july.
water n feed heavily, healthy zelkova will readily back bud in all sorts of places, but you should get a bunch of shoots at the cut point as elms usually do

its not worth wasting time with a crappy top layer.

i would chop around here
or slightly lower.

there is some flare at the base, nothing special but its enough to start with imo. every zelkova doesnt need to be modeled off a flawless radial nebari..
the tree needs to be brought more upright and buried a tad deeper, all you need to start with is the flare

Attachments

• 20200715_180700.jpg
    20200715_180700.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 20200718_100018.jpg
    20200718_100018.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Dutchland

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
its not worth wasting time with a crappy top layer.

i would chop around here
or slightly lower.

there is some flare at the base, nothing special but its enough to start with imo. every zelkova doesnt need to be modeled off a flawless radial nebari..
the tree needs to be brought more upright and buried a tad deeper, all you need to start with is the flare

I Just Chopped it a Couple Days Ago... So at This Point, Not Afraid to do Again Just a Bit Lower. What Does Concern me is the Lack of Branches (NONE) Below the Potential New Chop Zone.

Bury Mine Deeper to Encourage Ground Layering Roots??

Thanks!!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If it was mine, I’d let it be until spring, and then I’d start by arranging the roots and pot it in a shallow, wide container in good soil. I’d let it grow wild most of next spring, and then probably chop it lower in the summer. Bonsai is built from the bottom up, so get the roots right, get it healthy, then determine the final trunk height.

Top Bottom