Need some advice please

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't mean to offend you, if you are the one Anthony is inquiring about.
No worries. It is me though. I asked for an explanation of a statement and was referred to google, and later to google scholar without a hint whatsoever as to what I should find there.

I posted the link earlier. If you really are curious: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/appreciate-your-input.36144/page-2

Done with this whole drama-queen stuff. If people want to make unsubtantiated claims and cannot explain them nor are willing to refer people to a place where it is explained, ah well..
Guess it is all about growing a 3 inch trunk in a burried colander. Then six branches and you have a bonsai. Great.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
No worries. It is me though. I asked for an explanation of a statement and was referred to google, and later to google scholar without a hint whatsoever as to what I should find there.

I posted the link earlier. If you really are curious: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/appreciate-your-input.36144/page-2

Done with this whole drama-queen stuff. If people want to make unsubtantiated claims and cannot explain them nor are willing to refer people to a place where it is explained, ah well..
Guess it is all about growing a 3 inch trunk in a burried colander. Then six branches and you have a bonsai. Great.
Lol!
Ah, I see...
My apologies.
I assumed he was refrencing a local from the neighborhood, or someone else...
Had I known this was more specific, I'd have kept my trap shut. ?

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@KiwiPlantGuy.

Charles, now you know why most tropical folk stay away from
forums that go to Sub-Tropical and Temperate.

You made one mistake, the compost when properly aged
cannot pulp.
You forget that my growing experience also stems from zone
7 in Philadelphia, USA.

I thought I was helping you out?:confused:
Perhaps you should just put me on ignore.
Good Day
Anthony

* Ihis response really shocked me.o_O:eek:

Hi Anthony,
Yep, too true re shocking and for all it offended I am sorry.
I don’t do forums very well, and suffer with lack of tact, politeness, and my mouth re fingers got away on me.
Also I don’t intend on putting you on IGNORE or anyone else, but feel free to put me on that list if you wish.

So, if my one and only mistake ( you were being polite) was to describe compost turning to mush over the next year or three. Let me explain myself - I have been lead to believe compost “of organic matter” is in a state of never finished decomposing, or maybe when finally turns to a Peat like substance it is finished.
Or maybe I am confusing bark types of media which decompose to the point that you nicely potted tree with the soil level at the top will lose its volume and become soggy and that part of the poorly drained media.
Please can you describe what is the make-up of your compost and why you believe it is stable.
Lastly I made a mistake by attacking your advice to others, and yes I have learned lots from you, so onwards?
Charles

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very interesting read (this and the original post referenced).
I agree we are all peers, with some members experienced in some areas; yet lacking in others. As someone who has studied horticulture & botany for, almost, two decades; but only studying the art of bonsai for a couple of years, I feel much more confident sharing experience/advice on care, growth patterns, etc., much more than I do with styling, pottery, and, other, bonsai-specific topics.
As an educator, I'm a firm believer of "knowledge via research," vs asking for advice when I first have a question. If I find multiple answers or information, I do like to ask peers about their, first-hand, experience to solidify or correct my understanding.
The internet is different from a college/laboratory/library regarding obtaining knowledge. It's too easy for people to pass off their opinions as facts, without providing a reputable source of information. I rarely offer advice via message boards/Facebook groups, but when I do, I *try* to provide the textural evidence along with my advice. If I am sharing something from experience, I try to disclose that it's based on what I've experienced (and experience is absolutely a good teacher).
If someone chooses to argue, discredit, or condem/patronize my feedback, I simply stop responding since I have more important things to do than argue with a person I don't know & will likely never meet. If someone does express interest & a willingness to learn, or provide a new perspective on the topic, I have no problem engaging in the conversation, or even participating in a debate (as long as my opponent is willing to be civil & provide evidence of their stance). If I'm wrong, I have no problem admitting it, and am happy to have gained new knowledge. If I'm correct, hopefully I've taught someone; who, in turn, will teach someone else. If not, at least I tried; and I won't lose sleep over it since it's just the internet, and the opinion of a person. ??‍♂️

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I just see so many posts on social media sites where people are so focused on what random people on the internet think/say/do; which is nothing but a waste of time & energy.
Have a good one!
-chase

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1538068639216.jpg
    FB_IMG_1538068639216.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom