Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yew one.jpg

yew 4.jpg

yew two.jpg

yew 3.jpg
here is a recent yew id like some styling ideas for
tachigi if you are out there id like your opinion too.
thanks.
p

Colorado Slim

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the 2nd pic for a front, although you lost view of the root that "stilts" the tree, I think it gives better taper and balance... I would also consider losing the larger branch sticking out from the left to make a more true informal upright and then let layers of foliage grow in over the coming years... I'm no artist, but maybe something like this?

Attachments

• yew 4.jpg
    yew 4.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 47

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i too prefer that image as the front.
i think after i check out how much rootage is below the stilted root, it will go, most likely in stages.
i also think much of the top will be deadwooded and carved, and a new top will be regrown.
anyone else?
no work will be done this year, i am feeding heavy to get it strong for next years work.
thanks
p

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Design, Yew

If this was my tree, the following would be my choice of design based on front number 2. To get a good top jin, one would unrestrictedly grow a top leader. Hey, you want to sell the tree? :D

-dorothy

Attachments

• yew+BN.jpg
    yew+BN.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 44

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Forgot to mention, the back root on the right side of the virtual yew is grafted..:)

-dorothy

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
nice vision cascade
thank you

i can only hope to be able to do it that kind of justice.
painter

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The second pic is definitely the best front for me. The whole top (especially the left) needs to be reduced (pruned or carved). And while I'm usually a big fan of dorothy's virtuals...I think that top jin thing is overplayed. Do something different. Oh...by they way......nice tree!

Top Bottom