Need some help identifying manufacturer of these shears

JRP

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I have these bonsai shears that I just love, but have been unable to find another pair of the same thing (or even something else fairly close). I was hoping that someone might be able to tell me what the markings on it say, who makes them, and even possibly where to purchase more of them. I bought them from a seller on ebay that is no longer running their online store. I have spent quite a bit of money trying to find something else that is the same size, but have found several vendors do not list their lengths correctly, and have also had problems trying to explain exactly what I'm looking for to some vendor due to language barriers.

These shears are 181mm long and weigh 88 grams right now, but have had SEVERAL sharpenings over the past few years, so it's possible that they were slightly longer/heavier when brand new. The only markings are "japan" on one side, and the markings in the picture on the other side.

I use these on a daily basis, and make several thousand cuts a day with them. I am horrified of the prospect of breaking or losing them as they have become like an extension of my hand after this much use. Every other pair of shears I've tried feels weird and clumsy now that I'm so used to these ones. Most of the other pairs I've purchased have been larger, thicker, heavier, and just don't work as well for my needs. Others have had a curve in the handle that I see on other shears labelled as "satsuki hasami", but the handle of these shears are dead straight.

Any help or guidance of somewhere else to look for these would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

bonsai shears.jpg
shears full.jpg

carobone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have a pair, which look very similar to yours. I purchased mine from an ebay from a seller whom I purchased bonsai material from. I included the link, hope it helps:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Japanes...411559?pt=US_Garden_Tools&hash=item255ab21a67

When all else fail, a pair of Masakuni, if one can afford it, would probably last you a pretty long time

-Vince

JRP

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a pair, which look very similar to yours. I purchased mine from an ebay from a seller whom I purchased bonsai material from. I included the link, hope it helps:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Japanes...411559?pt=US_Garden_Tools&hash=item255ab21a67

When all else fail, a pair of Masakuni, if one can afford it, would probably last you a pretty long time

-Vince

I looked up the shears you linked to, and it appears that they are about an inch longer than what I'm looking for. This has been exactly my problem. Every pair I get is that size, and not the size that I want. Mine are about 7-1/4", and most of the ones I've found are 8" to 8-1/4" (even ones that claim to be 7" on their listing).

I did just purchase a pair of masakuni shears that I received today, the m28 with black finish from california bonsai studio, and they are the right length, but seem to be a bit thicker, and don't match the picture on their website either. The ones in their picture have an attached handle, and the ones that I received have a gap there. I took a picture and sent it to them to make sure they sent me the right tool. Maybe these will work out for me, but they are considerably more expensive than the ones I am currently using. I think I paid about $25 for the ones I love. I don't really care too much about the price at this point though, as I've spent several hundred trying to find ones that match my current set.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would take them to a japenese restaurant and ask them what they say on the side.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
here is a pic of some Masakunis from about 20 years ago. I just got them but the previous owner said that is when he got them, and they were never used. Not sure if new versions are configured the same way with small handle holes.

Attachments

• IMG_7323.jpg
    IMG_7323.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 45

63pmp

Shohin
Reaction score
I get the feeling that JRP is no longer following his own thread.

I bought a very small pair of concave cutters from Stone Lantern a few years ago. From memory they were a special item for Bonsai Today subscribers. They didn't last long till they broke just in front of the hinge. They were only meant to cut azalea flower buds and small shoots, and the like, but always felt fragile to me. I was expecting them to bend where the cutting blade starts, but one blade just snapped off at that point instead.

They were nice to use, and haven't seen anything as small again, so haven't been able to replace them.

Paul

JRP

Seedling
Reaction score
I get the feeling that JRP is no longer following his own thread.

Paul

Still following the thread, and going to look in to the kaneshine shears that 63pmp mentioned as a possibility. Also going out for sushi on friday and going to bring them along to see if they can help identify what these say.

Thanks all for the help, I can't tell you how happy I'll be if I can end up getting more of these. Will probably grab 10-15 sets myself, and I know a few other of my coworkers want a couple pairs.

The Masakuni shears I bought are VERY nice, but I just think it's a bit too much to pay for something that is going to see the kind of daily wear and tear that I'm going to be putting them through. Hopefully I can find more of the other kind, and save the Masakuni's for hobby use.

JRP

Seedling
Reaction score
here is a pic of some Masakunis from about 20 years ago. I just got them but the previous owner said that is when he got them, and they were never used. Not sure if new versions are configured the same way with small handle holes.

I did contact the seller in regards to this difference, and he said they changed the design a while back. He also said that most of the pics found online are form photos taken 30+ years ago. I just wanted to make sure I got the right thing before using them and not being able to return.

63pmp

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi JRP,

Glad your still around.

When your scissors get really blunt and you feel they have had it, don't throw them away. You can refurbish them by carefully grinding off the rivet and then hone the face off the blades. You can do this several times before the scissors are completely dead.

Its a bit of a process, and there are some tutorials about on the net which show you how.

Good luck with finding a replacement.

Paul

DallasBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
JRP, I forwarded your image to a friend in Japan to see if they could provide any information.

This is the closest thing I could find that we had with the slight separation between handles, longer blade:
http://www.dallasbonsai.com/product-p/tfl126.htm (teflon coated)

That's 178mm, but I haven't checked what's currently listed out of stock to see if there is anything in black metal, 188mm/7.5 inch yet. If you see something you want to try, call Brandon - (972) 487-0130. Our tools have a satisfaction guarantee, so you can return them if their not right.

Top Bottom