Need some tips for starting bonsai here in canada

Reaction score
I 100% understand where you are coming from. I’m located in Ottawa area. For me, bonsai was an art where you can grow unique trees in unique shapes and sizes. I didn’t want to grow native trees because you can see them anywhere. I wanted something different, something cool. I kept my eyes on Kijiji watching for something, then a Brazilian rain tree popped up and I said “I’ll take it!” It’s th neatest tree but ever since I’ve had it I’ve been stressing over it because it doesn’t like the cold. At all. I never know if I should put it outside on nice days and bring it in overnight. I mean, it hasn’t died yet so I can’t be doing that bad of a job!

Now I want something that I don’t have to stress over and can leave it outside, day, night, winter, summer. About an hour ago I found a perfect specimen for what I want to do! A Canadian maple!
image.jpg

May not be 100% perfect but it’s hardy and should look curvey in a couple years.

Same as trying to find a life partner, if you bring one home from Florida, they will complain about the cold and fill your ears about how unhappy they are until they leave. Find one close to home who is used to the cold

I’m no bonsai master or marriage counsellor, but I do kinda know a thing or two

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Find one close to home!
Here are a couple of those boring native Canadian species you see everywhere and can pick up with a shovel. Still in the process of refinement:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0963.jpeg
    IMG_0963.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1412.jpeg
    IMG_1412.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 19
  • triple trunk design.jpeg
    triple trunk design.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Father& Son    Mar 18.jpeg
    Father& Son Mar 18.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 21

Melendwyr

Seedling
Reaction score
I've read that, in Japan, many bonsai are actually kept outdoors. But the climate of that nation is relatively clement, with moderate snow and low temps. I suspect no part of Canada away from the coasts remains warm enough to expose a bonsai to unshielded winter temperatures.

Maybe it would be a good idea to concentrate on tree species that go dormant in winter, so that they could be stored in a cold garage without light. They wouldn't even need to be native to your locale, as long as they're from temperate regions. I know there are subtropical plants that can be induced to survive without light for several months, but that usually requires precise, just-above-freezing temperatures to make their metabolisms shut down. Too much warmth, or too little, and the plant dies.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've read that, in Japan, many bonsai are actually kept outdoors. But the climate of that nation is relatively clement, with moderate snow and low temps. I suspect no part of Canada away from the coasts remains warm enough to expose a bonsai to unshielded winter temperatures.

Maybe it would be a good idea to concentrate on tree species that go dormant in winter, so that they could be stored in a cold garage without light. They wouldn't even need to be native to your locale, as long as they're from temperate regions. I know there are subtropical plants that can be induced to survive without light for several months, but that usually requires precise, just-above-freezing temperatures to make their metabolisms shut down. Too much warmth, or too little, and the plant dies.
When I first became interested in bonsai here in southern Alberta (zone 3), I was told our climate made it basically impossible to maintain trees outdoors during the winter. In fact, I was told not to bother with the hobby except for a couple of ficus or something along those lines. I have found, however, that most species native or invasive are much happier heeled, mulched And left to outside all year. Species that I’ve treated this way: white spruce (not Alberta dwarf), englemann spruce, Lodgepole pine, Siberian larch, Amur maple, amalanchier, Tamarack, Manchuria elm, hedge cotoneaster, juniper horozontalis and silver buffalo berries. I’m sure there are many others that would work, and my climate is much more harsh than the OP’s.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Melendwyr

Seedling
Reaction score
When I first became interested in bonsai here in southern Alberta (zone 3), I was told our climate made it basically impossible to maintain trees outdoors during the winter. In fact, I was told not to bother with the hobby except for a couple of ficus or something along those lines.

Sounds like the traditional, Japan-specific methods wouldn't have worked, but you found Canada-specific methods that did. That seems to be a recurring theme here: the most highly traditional rules and methods are unnecessarily limiting or even wrong, outside of their original contexts.

The few books on bonsai growing I've read are at least thirty years old, and they seem to draw heavily on the experience of the experts in Japan. The possibility that expertise might not apply outside of that specific doesn't seem to have occurred to the authors.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sounds like the traditional, Japan-specific methods wouldn't have worked, but you found Canada-specific methods that did. That seems to be a recurring theme here: the most highly traditional rules and methods are unnecessarily limiting or even wrong, outside of their original contexts.

The few books on bonsai growing I've read are at least thirty years old, and they seem to draw heavily on the experience of the experts in Japan. The possibility that expertise might not apply outside of that specific doesn't seem to have occurred to the authors.
Have you tried purchasing new up to date material? Lots available, that blends knowledge and experience world wide. Valuable foundations from China and Japan have led to improved results for those open enough to accept older methods and adapt for their own circumstances. There is a brand new book out called " Bonsai Heresy" 2020 publication. Not expensive, suggest you give it a try! Author is Michael Hagedorn.

Melendwyr

Seedling
Reaction score
Alas, this has not been a good time for non-online shopping. But I'm actively seeking expertise outside the traditional bounds, which is how I found this site in the first place. I'm hoping to pick up some pointers and inspiration!

Mary Katherine

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you start with native species from that area they have a much better chance of surviving Canadian winters. There is lots of info on the R value of snow and how to use it .

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Alas, this has not been a good time for non-online shopping. But I'm actively seeking expertise outside the traditional bounds, which is how I found this site in the first place. I'm hoping to pick up some pointers and inspiration!
It is readily available on line from Stone Lantern;) Plenty of pointers and inspiration within its covers. if you want native species inspiration. Here is one to ponder and consider a vision. Sub Alpine Fir collected 2018. Spends most winters under the snow pack at high altitudes.IMG_0975.jpegIMG_1015.jpeg

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have beautiful trees 😊

Thanks.

I’m considering repotting this today. Obviously this doesn’t overwinter outdoors and not a bonsai either but given your screen name you might like it.

It’s an orange, seed from grocery store fruit that I planted at age 3ish. 1975ish. By some miracle it’s still alive, crazy. 671438EF-DDFC-4C47-8438-EED0546217C0.jpeg

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks.

I’m considering repotting this today. Obviously this doesn’t overwinter outdoors and not a bonsai either but given your screen name you might like it.

It’s an orange, seed from grocery store fruit that I planted at age 3ish. 1975ish. By some miracle it’s still alive, crazy. View attachment 309116
Thats awesome! The first seeds i worked on germinating were lemon seeds haha thats why my screen name is what it is. Looks very healthy!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The best advice for everybody in the entire world is to look around the landscapes where you live. Almost anything can be bonsai with the general exceptions of cactus and walking catfish.

Top Bottom