Need urgent advice for my Fukien Tea Bonsai Tree (Carmona retusa)

tarakanj

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hello, two days after getting my bonsai home, the leaves rapidly started turning yellow (some with white dots) and falling off. I am aware that this could happen due to overwatering, however, after regulating irrigation, it seems to be getting worse. Could it be the soil? Can anyone help?

(Please note that it is receiving a few hours of indirect sunlight so I accommodated that with an incandescent lightbulb.)

I deeply appreciate your time to answer my question

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 4 (2).jpeg
    4 (2).jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 18

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Is the soil draining well? If you push your finger into the soil is it wet? What zone/area are you in? You can add that to your profile.
My fukien was looking pretty bad last week shedding leaves which had some white dots (although my leaves seem to have this even when healthy) and I made some soapy solution with Dawn detergent and washed the whole thing, every leaf, and it's still alive this week which is a minor miracle considering it's a Fukien!

HorseloverFat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Greetings, Traveller!
Glad you found your way to the Tiny Forest. The Woody Dwarves will attempt to assist.

I know ABSOLUTELY nothing of Carmona... but others will.

I DO know that Incandescents will often throw more “heat” than “light”.. how close/what KIND of bulb/lamp are you using. I’m thinking your tree is NOT getting enough light.. I do not know if this, however is the cause of your issues... but it WILL become an issue.

🤓

Soil needs to be addressed.. I just lack SPECIFIC Fukien knowledge regarding timing/desired soil content.

Someone will know.

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Fukien Tea dropping leaves after being moved? That's a feature not a bug. You're in 10b? Probably warm enough to put that thing outside so it can get some hotter and more humid weather than inside your home. They don't seem to care much for mid 70's(F) and low humidity. They like it hot and steamy, NO freezing temps.

Not sure whats going in the pot, soil looks...whats a good word? "Chunky"? Hard to tell how well its draining or if its draining at all. Lift the pot up and ensure it has some proper drainage holes, and when you water try to make sure that nearly all the soil is getting wet not just where it looks like there are fissures in the soil.

You state you have only had this for a few days now, this isnt uncommon for Fukien teas to "go through the motions" after being moved from one growing location and climate to another. They are a sun loving plant, but with more sun equals more water so somthing you need to watch for if you elect to move it to a sunnier spot is that it will dry out faster than before.

Probably couldnt hurt if you have some plant food to feed it a bit. Doesnt really matter what fertilizer you pick, something for container plants and follow the directions on the package. If you are still unsure post what you want on here and we can take a look at it.

Good luck!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Is the soil draining well? If you push your finger into the soil is it wet? What zone/area are you in? You can add that to your profile.
My fukien was looking pretty bad last week shedding leaves which had some white dots (although my leaves seem to have this even when healthy) and I made some soapy solution with Dawn detergent and washed the whole thing, every leaf, and it's still alive this week which is a minor miracle considering it's a Fukien!

What are the white bumps indicative of? I took mine to be aphids because I swear eventually they started moving, but they were on top of the leaf, not beneath. I did the same as you and it's gotten much much better. For some reason my fukien just wants to leave no matter how badly I've abused it over the years, which is crazy because I was explicitly told at the time not to buy it by the nursery haha

Carol 83

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What are the white bumps indicative of? I took mine to be aphids because I swear eventually they started moving, but they were on top of the leaf, not beneath. I did the same as you and it's gotten much much better. For some reason my fukien just wants to leave no matter how badly I've abused it over the years, which is crazy because I was explicitly told at the time not to buy it by the nursery haha
It's not unusual for the leaves to have white dots, they just do. But if you saw them moving, that's a different thing..

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
It's not unusual for the leaves to have white dots, they just do. But if you saw them moving, that's a different thing..

They were a bit sticky too. I couldn't figure out what could have gotten on them, but read that some infestations leave a sticky residue

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I got curious about the white dots report and went to look at my F'n Tea. Sure enough, white dots everywhere, all over the top surface of the leaves. But the white dots I see are hairs, and they are supposed to be there. Warmth and sunshine, as Tiki said. Give it time. When I got mine it had dropped a zillion leaves in the shipping box and continued to lose more. I monitored the situation by removing every single leaf from the soil surface and the surrounding area. The next day I counted the leaves that fell and removed them again. Each subsequent day my Tea dropped fewer leaves, until we reached a point where it seemed like a "normal" level given the limitations of care in my home.