Need your advice

Nick121

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello,

New to bonsai and in need of your expert opinion. I've always been a fan of bonsai but life gets in the way and my interest about it seems to fall on the wayside. Anyway this season, I've decided that this is the time to make that interest a reality.

Been reading and watching youtube anything Bonsai. I've been collecting seedlings, saplings and even seeds for next year. While collecting specimens, I come across this...20220619_104101[1].jpg

I dont know what it is, I'm not even sure if it is a tree or a shrub. What attracts me to it is the cut of the trunk. I'm pretty sure this specimen have gone through multiple cuts (from land clearing?). It looks old and gnarly but it does appeal to me.

Side view

20220619_104146[1].jpg

My goal at the moment is to let this plant grow and for it to develop healthy fibrous root system. This plant have hardly any feeder root when i dug it up, it seems to rely mainly from the thicker roots. Should I remove the growth at bottom side and the ones in the middle or let it grow? I'm 50/50 whether to remove it or let it grow in reference to future styling.

Thank you for any suggestioins

Attachments

• 20220619_104317[1].jpg
    20220619_104317[1].jpg
    393 KB · Views: 6

Nick121

Sapling
Reaction score
To me it looks like Privet
Thank you for the identification. Well at least we know now that its a shrub, it would be a nice practice specimen. I dont have to worry much if I mess it up.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It will grow like a weed so keep your clippers sharp. I have 3.

Nick121

Sapling
Reaction score
lol yeah I was just researching about Privet. It seems, it meant to be found to get me going and remove my doubt that this is something I want to do. I would say this Privet is the turning point of my bonsai interest.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It is a hearty plant and kinda hard to kill it will bost the confidence level. But remember it's just a confidence builder and don't treat say a Japanese maple or an azalea like you would a Privet.
For people to be able to help you better its good to know what part of the globe you are from. Ya can do that by filling out your bio info. Who knows you may have some neighbors willing to help.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Seems a soon MUST that foliage be removed from the top, where it will quicker ruin your design, so if you cut off the other, you'll be in a pickle.

Even with something that "won't die" like a privet, if this is in fact a privet.

Chances are, there are some right individual connections between root and foliage, so removing any lone growth may kill that root, then your design is compromised.

Best to have a study of how old growth ruined design, reverse taper and such, and remove some of those bunched top shoots before they further "ugly". The time can be found in the study. If there isn't enough to study on this specimen, any other should do.

Where are you?
Why does it feel like Florida?

Sorce

Nick121

Sapling
Reaction score
It is a hearty plant and kinda hard to kill it will bost the confidence level. But remember it's just a confidence builder and don't treat say a Japanese maple or an azalea like you would a Privet.
For people to be able to help you better its good to know what part of the globe you are from. Ya can do that by filling out your bio info. Who knows you may have some neighbors willing to help.
Definitely. Yeah been collecting oaks, sycamore, sweet gum and yeah japanese maple. My J. maple is putting out some seeds atm.'ll try to germinate some of them for next year.

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Definitely. Yeah been collecting oaks, sycamore, sweet gum and yeah japanese maple. My J. maple is putting out some seeds atm.'ll try to germinate some of them for next year.
Sounds like you are off to a good start. I look forward to seeing your progress

Nick121

Sapling
Reaction score
Appreciate the help
Welcome to Crazy!

Seems a soon MUST that foliage be removed from the top, where it will quicker ruin your design, so if you cut off the other, you'll be in a pickle.

Even with something that "won't die" like a privet, if this is in fact a privet.

Chances are, there are some right individual connections between root and foliage, so removing any lone growth may kill that root, then your design is compromised.

Best to have a study of how old growth ruined design, reverse taper and such, and remove some of those bunched top shoots before they further "ugly". The time can be found in the study. If there isn't enough to study on this specimen, any other should do.

Where are you?
Why does it feel like Florida?

Sorce
Thank you for the welcome

I used to live in Florida for more than 20 years but recently moved to the midwest, tornado alley.

Appreciate the help

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personal first guess was Privet. However since is all new growth and based on leaf shape believe could be Boxwood🤔.

Nick121

Sapling
Reaction score
Personal first guess was Privet. However since is all new growth and based on leaf shape believe could be Boxwood🤔.
Dont know if its boxwood. I have a landscape boxwood at home the leaves are smaller and the internodes are shorter. This one, the leaves are bigger with longer internodes. But I could be wrong, for all i know it could be a different variety of boxwood.

Thanks for the help

Top Bottom