needle juniper help..

palagaban

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi guys does anyone have any complete article on how to properly prune a needle juniper? I have read in the resources a simple and easy guide on how to prune a scale juniper to make pads and i was wondering if there is the same article on needle juniper? thank you

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice @Stan Kengai !

On standby!

Boom!

Welcome to Crazy.....
Father who slows down a prohibition!

Sorce

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You're welcome. Heh, I bet after years of reading and learning you will have "tons" of good bookmarks too.;)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi guys does anyone have any complete article on how to properly prune a needle juniper? I have read in the resources a simple and easy guide on how to prune a scale juniper to make pads and i was wondering if there is the same article on needle juniper? thank you
Palagaban,

The video depicts how to prune and style a Tosho needle juniper. They are rare outside Japan. The pruning that Bjorn demonstrated is appropriate only for Tosho. Other junipers are greatly harmed by being trimmed like that.

Many other junipers have needles, but are not called "needle juniper". Could you post a picture of your tree? For instance, most Procumbens Junipers and San Jose

palagaban

Sapling
Reaction score
@Adair M thank you for the advice... i am just a newbie in the bonsai community... i am on the process of learning.. its more of a research for me so that i would avoid making some mistakes and kill a tree in the process... i am in norway and most of the wild species here are common junipers which is very temperemental... and some urbandoris being used as a fence like himalayan juniper, chinese juniper old gold and etc... i have some future yamadori projects to do so im trying to learn the most i can... as of the moment i collected this small size juniperus communis this year in the mountain. Excuse my low pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_1222.JPG
    IMG_1222.JPG
    386.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1221.JPG
    338.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1220.JPG
    IMG_1220.JPG
    311.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1219.JPG
    IMG_1219.JPG
    338.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1218.JPG
    IMG_1218.JPG
    333.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1217.JPG
    IMG_1217.JPG
    334.8 KB · Views: 58

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Adair M thank you for the advice... i am just a newbie in the bonsai community... i am on the process of learning.. its more of a research for me so that i would avoid making some mistakes and kill a tree in the process... i am in norway and most of the wild species here are common junipers which is very temperemental... and some urbandoris being used as a fence like himalayan juniper, chinese juniper old gold and etc... i have some future yamadori projects to do so im trying to learn the most i can... as of the moment i collected this small size juniperus communis this year in the mountain. Excuse my low pictures...
I have no experience with that type of juniper. I suggest you find someone locally who does.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
nothing to help you out

but that is a realy Cool trunk tough!

we have no mountains or yamadori juniperus in Holland :p
even if we did we woud never get permit to collect it lol

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Your juniper has potential, but it needs to grow a few more seasons untouched to ensure survival. It looks like it's not very strong yet. It appears to be a common juniper, or possibly a shore juniper. Peter Tea's posts above are excellent.

palagaban

Sapling
Reaction score
@defra thank you... @Adair M the funny things is in my city here i think there is no bonsai clubs here and next to no one you can seek advice on this type of juniper. @Brian Van Fleet Yes i agree with you sir that it needs few more season untouch to ensure survival... there is very little article about this king of juniper on the net... i read in tony tickles post that some would not even bother collecting them because they are very hard species to work with? is there someone here who collects and work with this kind of juniper species? especially here in europe... i would like to seek some advice with you guys :)

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice bones. Yours have pretty green foliage. Those growing naturally here are a little bit silver or blueish.
Here is my beginning...
http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/11th-floor-common-juniper.23043/
Nothing mutch to advise. People really say they are unpredictable and can die for no certain reason. Nick Lenz has a very good chapter about common juniper in his book Bonsai from the Wild, he says to be careful and avoid doing too much in one session...

I've collected three. First one was potted with original root ball in original heavy clay soil. Your black soil looks better. It grew fine first season, I did some light wiring just to open the canopy and some light pruning. It died in the fall.

Then I collected two... One with an interesting trunk and the second as a back up tree...is in my thread. After collection they were bare rooted and potted in terramol.
The better trunk was left without any insult. Lived one season. The second was treated without any respect. The dead veins cleaned and some branches wired in the fall. Not saying this is the way, one wants to live one doesn't. I prune it as stated in linked needle juniper articles. But conifers live from green. It's always good to let the tree go wild one-two years after collecting for root growth. I did prune, but very selectively, never all new growth, for example one branch today, next branch after few weeks... always leaving some growing tips... and we have one popular love song in my language I always sing when working on my c. juniper. The song is called "Till I have you".

palagaban

Sapling
Reaction score
*Petegreg the black soil is its original mountain soil i just planted it straigth and hope that it will survive... do you still have some bonsai of this specie? damn when i read some of the testimonials and case study about juniperus communis it most of the time demotivating to hear so many losing trees of this kind... damn...

Last edited:

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
*Petegreg the black soil is its original mountain soil i just planted it straigth and hope that it will survive... do you still have some bonsai of this specie? damn when i read some of the testimonials and case study about juniperus communis it most of the time demotivating to hear so many losing trees of this kind... damn...

Yes, I know that black mountain soil looks much better than mine "from the meadow". My thread and juniper is still
alive.:)

palagaban

Sapling
Reaction score
Sorry I misunderstood you @petegreg... nice well done! do have an idea on when is the best time to collect this material in europe to optimize higher survival rate?

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here's a compilation, I hope it'll work. Compiled from web, forums, some books.

Attachments

• Common%20juniper%20yamadori.txt
    1.7 MB · Views: 31

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I guess it works...and there's some paragraph in Slovak language, I apologize, but there's nothing that is not mentioned in English, only confirmation.

Top Bottom