Needle nosed pliers for weeding.

Mitty

Yamadori
Reaction score
I have been using long needle-nosed pliers for weeding my bonsai. I started by mistake : I was going though my pots making a list of trees that needed repotting and I saw this nasty weed (beginning of a thistle ) and I just grabbed the nearest tool to me , a pair of needle -nosed pliers. I found I could get deep down under the soil and grabbed the weed in one with it`s roots , from then on I found this tool really useful when weeding. Our garden is full of birds and the little blighters love going through my pots !! Of course their droppings are full of seeds and cause lots of unwanted weeds and grasses etc..
Maybe , you all use pliers for weeding ; but it was new for me. It really is a boon for anyone with lots of weeds.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I use titanium chopsticks :) If you use aggregate-based soil, you can't close the pliers because the soil is the equivalent of a bed of pebbles. With a chopstick I poke it under the weed and pop it to the surface! That is definitely one advantage of aggregate soils - weeds have a hard time getting established.

Mitty

Yamadori
Reaction score
I take your point. I have metal chopsticks, but have never used them for weeding , just poking the newly potted trees in their new dishes. I will give your system a go.

Top Bottom