Neem oil bad for maples and how long to wait to use a fungicide

dacoontz

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Reading here and there that Neem is bad for maples, especially tridents. What about applying it in the evening at dusk and then spraying the foliage the next morning? Aphids sure seem to only like my maples, go figure. Would like to understand the relationship with ants and aphids as they seem to be around too.

Second, wanting to apply infuse systemic fungicide. How long should I wait after applying something like Neem? I don’t want to expect Neem to actually cover my trees as a fungicide even though some claim that it can. I have a crab apple that likely has chronic cedar apple rust so need to treat my trees with a sure fire fungicide.

Thank you.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Most of the problems I have heard of and seen are like you say…neem and soap in the sunshine. Bad news. If you were to do it early evening when the sun is no longer on your tree, it should be harmless. Even more so if you hose off in the morning. Under that treatment regimen, I don’t see and issue with using a systemic. Still if you are worried try half the neem dose. Typical use is about a tablespoon of cold pressed neem per gallon of water.

Also consider if it is only aphids soapy water spray is good enough….neem is not needed. They are weak pests.

Aphids create honeydew. Ants eat it and protect the aphids (farm them) from predatory beneficials. Many times if you see ants in a tree they are protecting aphids and likey a lot of them.

dacoontz

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Most of the problems I have heard of and seen are like you say…neem and soap in the sunshine. Bad news. If you were to do it early evening when the sun is no longer on your tree, it should be harmless. Even more so if you hose off in the morning. Under that treatment regimen, I don’t see and issue with using a systemic. Still if you are worried try half the neem dose. Typical use is about a tablespoon of cold pressed neem per gallon of water.

Also consider if it is only aphids soapy water spray is good enough….neem is not needed. They are weak pests.

Aphids create honeydew. Ants eat it and protect the aphids (farm them) from predatory beneficials. Many times if you see ants in a tree they are protecting aphids and likey a lot of them.
Thank you so much Firstflush, your quick, concise response is much appreciated.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
I have to pass on this neem fact to all users. The ready to use prepared neem oil sprays in garden stores is garbage.
The spray bottle label says hydrophobic extract of neem. This means all the good stuff has been taken out by processing including the actual compound, azadirachtin, we want for pest control. Azadirachtin is removed and gets used in a product called azamax that the cannabis growers love. The pre prepared product in spray bottles is essentially just a hort oil which you could make yourself with a cooking oil and dish soap.

You must use pure cold pressed neem oil. I use Dyno-Gro product.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I learned recently that them hover flies lay larvae that eat aphids.

Fitting to plant some Nasturtium to attract aphids to it, as their deathbed.

I been watching a trusted fella recently who won't use Neem through summer when the sun is peaking, and careful and sparing with it outside then.

Reading about how good bacteria and soil microbes are responsible for creating a surface on the leaf which powdery mildew and fungus can't live on.
I believe this is enhanced by the use of seaweed and fish emulsion leaf sprays.

Neem will burn this surface away.

Once you reach the point of prevention, the peace outside the cycle is welcome.

Sorce

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I believe this is enhanced by the use of seaweed and fish emulsion leaf sprays.

Neem will burn this surface away.
This is interesting, because I regularly use fish fert with kelp, it's just part of my schedule.

Maybe this attributes to my previous successes using NEEM...

There's a book, my mother used in Microbiology class (recently, actually, she's a life-long learner) entitled "Man and Microbe"... I have it SOMEWHERE amongst my stacks. After I give it a read, I'll send it your way.

;)

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Um...er...

:eek:

Top Bottom