Neem oil damaging trees

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It has cleared up.
I only used the soap twice.
I think they were moving back and forth between untreated trees on the same shelf.

Akeron

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
I've had bad luck with neem oil thats ready to use out of the bottle and Fukien Tea trees. Seems it burns the leaves... you can notice it the next day... by the second day, burnt. I've had good results with a Bayer mix that goes in the soil. I can post it later when I get home if needed

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yeah you definitely need to do multiple applications the neem wont kill the bugs it disrupts there life cycle so they cant molt, lay eggs, etc. thats how you kill them, find out what pest you have, apply to the adults, apply to the eggs, and larvae and you will win the battle :)

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've had bad luck with neem oil thats ready to use out of the bottle and Fukien Tea trees. Seems it burns the leaves... you can notice it the next day... by the second day, burnt. I've had good results with a Bayer mix that goes in the soil. I can post it later when I get home if needed
Same for me with those finicky trees

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Fukien Tea does not like anything. A friend of mine used to run a business that sold them and he had a ton of trouble with them.

janaiya

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found spiderwebs on my BRT and used 2 half droppers of neem oil and a squeeze of dish soap in half liter of water and sprayed the whole tree. The reaction was mixed. The leaves did not close at night and I got scared. Maybe too much Neem?
I have a few branches with no foliage left. Should I cut it a little shorter to see if its still green ? Because nothing is growing on those branches since 10 days.
In total I sprayed 3 days in a row at night since each next day I still found new webs. Now the webs are gone, hope the mites too. I did not sprayed the tree with fresh water, should I ? Any advice?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I found spiderwebs on my BRT and used 2 half droppers of neem oil and a squeeze of dish soap in half liter of water and sprayed the whole tree. The reaction was mixed. The leaves did not close at night and I got scared. Maybe too much Neem?
I have a few branches with no foliage left. Should I cut it a little shorter to see if its still green ? Because nothing is growing on those branches since 10 days.
In total I sprayed 3 days in a row at night since each next day I still found new webs. Now the webs are gone, hope the mites too. I did not sprayed the tree with fresh water, should I ? Any advice?
What species of tree do you have??

Tbwilson33

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Spraying 3 nights in a row will probably do it... I know the bottle I bought said spray only once a week

janaiya

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My eyes are not the best, did see a few tiny & microscopic and fast moving insects on the trunk and a few webs, but only long strings, nothing round as we know spiderwebs.. Whatever is going on on my BRT , it is systematically coming from the trunk and works itself outwards. Meaning that the foliage close the trunk are getting less and less and most part are totally absent now. What is left are the tips of the branches.
I have seen some growth only there.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It is my understanding the BRT's are very sensitive to any kind of spray. I do think you dosed it too heavy, and are now paying the price. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS on the bottle and spray once every ten days until they are gone.

janaiya

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is my understanding the BRT's are very sensitive to any kind of spray. I do think you dosed it too heavy, and are now paying the price. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS on the bottle and spray once every ten days until they are gone.

I used a little bottle with organic been oil. It’s not specifically for bonsai.

However what is done is done.
Should I prune the empty branches or let it be?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I used a little bottle with organic been oil. It’s not specifically for bonsai.

However what is done is done.
Should I prune the empty branches or let it be?
Let it be until you know what is coming back and what is not.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
I don’t mess with tropicals anymore but I found bugs were normally from overwatering. If you have any flies then it is definitely oterwatering.

janaiya

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don’t mess with tropicals anymore but I found bugs were normally from overwatering. If you have any flies then it is definitely oterwatering.
No flies, not overwatered either! Using my finger now !

Top Bottom