Neem oil mistake

AussieBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi all. I had a spider mite issue on my procumbens and treated it with neem oil, only to notice a stark decline in the foliage and have read that neem oil, or most other hort oils are a no no on junipers. A scale infestation broke out a few days after as well, which I presume must have been already there, but now taking liberties..

Is there anything I can do to reverse, or limit this? As its an oil, I was thinking that the old dishwashing liquid and water mix may break down any residue? Or is it a case of treating it with care the next few weeks

Any help is appreciated

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was thinking that the old dishwashing liquid and water mix
This is the first thing that came to my mind. Dilution rates will vary from soap to soap. I use Bonner's soaps. It is also what I use to get rid of mites.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Did you spray and leave the juniper out in the sun? I have used neem oil on junipers before, but I move them to shade and then after a couple days spray down the foliage before putting them back out in the sun.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
yes as pitoon said neem has to be done not-prior to sun exposure. so like in the evening and left overnight or else it burns

AussieBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
I did it in the shade and left in unexposed for a couple of days, however I read that junipers cant take hort oil, as it blocks the particulary small stomata they have. However.. I cant say if this is true or not

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I did it in the shade and left in unexposed for a couple of days, however I read that junipers cant take hort oil, as it blocks the particulary small stomata they have. However.. I cant say if this is true or not
Did you mix it yourself?

I personally have used it and never had any issues.

AussieBonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
Yes, mixed it myself, but was conservative on the ratio. Well that some good news at least. I'll need to put the crispy leaves down to something else. Bad application perhaps

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, mixed it myself, but was conservative on the ratio. Well that some good news at least. I'll need to put the crispy leaves down to something else. Bad application perhaps
Perhaps it was mite damage.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have only listened to the beginning of this so far.....
But...

Sorce

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have only listened to the beginning of this so far.....
But...

Sorce
Insects have evolved to target "their" own food source most beneficial to them. Some eat living tissue others eat dead tissue.

Top Bottom