Negative JWP semi-cascade progression

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is one of the treasures I brought home from the Nationals. Another Doug Paul castoff:

BFB4FD52-CE93-4F56-9A31-28E215E4D477.jpeg

It’s likely grafted on JBP roots, but I can’t see an obvious grafting scar. The reason I think do is the trunk is JWP juvenile, but the exposed roots are showing flaky bark, which is more typical of JBP.

Neagri JWP Semicascade is one style I don’t own, or didn’t, and they’re relatively rare here. My friend John Kirby has a nice one, so since he’s a lot smarter than me, and does better bonsai than me, I figure that following his lead is a safe bet!

Anyway, I’ll post up progress pictures.

This JWP is more of the typical blue-ish JWP, with needles 3/4 inch to an inch long. The Zuisho had much smaller 1/4 to 1/2 inch needles.

And before anyone feels compelled to say it, yes, it looks leggy. We’ll see how well I can deal with it!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just finished wiring it out. Pretty challenging wiring. Even more challenging styling!

FCFC5958-396E-42D1-8320-303ED58853A8.jpeg

The apex needs a little more tweaking, but I’m pretty happy about the overall styling.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I love this guy. Do you wire the tips up, or just let them naturally grow up (reaching for the sun). I notice my jwp tips naturally grow up.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I love this guy. Do you wire the tips up, or just let them naturally grow up (reaching for the sun). I notice my jwp tips naturally grow up.
I don’t point them up. They will grow up, but when styling any pine, point the tips out. Maybe a little bit up at a 30 degree angle. But certainly not straight up.

Next spring’s growth will be straight up. That’s what pines do. So, this time next year, all the bundles of needles will be more upright.

Look at this one:

671067CF-CE53-4B5E-924F-DF7A073A9369.jpeg

I last wired this tree about 3 years ago. Set the tips pointed “out” just like the semi cascade. When the new growth came in, all the bundles grow straight up, and after you remove the old needles, well, you see how they look!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don’t point them up. They will grow up, but when styling any pine, point the tips out. Maybe a little bit up at a 30 degree angle. But certainly not straight up.

Next spring’s growth will be straight up. That’s what pines do. So, this time next year, all the bundles of needles will be more upright.

Look at this one:

View attachment 212114

I last wired this tree about 3 years ago. Set the tips pointed “out” just like the semi cascade. When the new growth came in, all the bundles grow straight up, and after you remove the old needles, well, you see how they look!
Ugh. These pines you keep posting having me “pining” hard for something similar. Here in NM I’m on a bit of a Bonsai island. Meaning, there are no Bonsai nursery within a 2 state radius of me. ?my local club is ok but they have access to the same material as I. Our local Piñon is incredibly difficult to collect as I’ve had 0 luck. I’ve gotten pretty good at juniper, in particular our local variety and it’s tendencies. ive been collecting like mad lately, but I’m also getting tired of seeking out “quality” material at nursery’s and big box stores. I don’t want to say that I’ve gotten snobby with my picks, but Im certainly a lot more selective than I use to be.

Do you have any suggestions for a quality source to order from, for a good starter JBP or JWP? Keep in mind I’m in zone 7, with very little in the way of annual rain fall and humidity. Thanks as always.

DH

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ugh. These pines you keep posting having me “pining” hard for something similar. Here in NM I’m on a bit of a Bonsai island. Meaning, there are no Bonsai nursery within a 2 state radius of me. ?my local club is ok but they have access to the same material as I. Our local Piñon is incredibly difficult to collect as I’ve had 0 luck. I’ve gotten pretty good at juniper, in particular our local variety and it’s tendencies. ive been collecting like mad lately, but I’m also getting tired of seeking out “quality” material at nursery’s and big box stores. I don’t want to say that I’ve gotten snobby with my picks, but Im certainly a lot more selective than I use to be.

Do you have any suggestions for a quality source to order from, for a good starter JBP or JWP? Keep in mind I’m in zone 7, with very little in the way of annual rain fall and humidity. Thanks as always.

DH
You could probably do ok with a Pondy? There’s a “Southwest White Pine” that I believe grows in your area. Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks might have something. You could also probably grow Jeffry Pine. Is there a local club?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You could probably do ok with a Pondy? There’s a “Southwest White Pine” that I believe grows in your area. Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks might have something. You could also probably grow Jeffry Pine. Is there a local club?
Your absolutely right about a pondy. Not sure why I didn’t think of that initially. I’m part of the local club, but can almost never make the meetings. I’m a full time artist and my markets take place the same days and time as our club meetings. Probably worth an email to the club president regardless. And I’m going to look into Evergreen Gardenworks more. I’ve never purchased a pre Bonsai let alone ordered one. I’ve mostly cultivated collected material with great success and polished lots of Turds (nursery stock). I need a pine in my life though. Your trees inspire.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Kind of disappointed with that spell check. I was expecting a deep philosophical discussion of a cascade that utilized negative space and technical advise about designing bonsai around such concepts. Man oh man...
Sorry about the “negative” space fail. This one’s pretty tight. I tried real hard to make pads and not not make a green helmet, and the pads do show better in person. I guess the “negative space” will just have to be the space between the roots!

Here’s a picture from the side:

DB4CB5C4-83ED-48DA-B689-89CD009C9B77.jpeg

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sorry about the “negative” space fail. This one’s pretty tight. I tried real hard to make pads and not not make a green helmet, and the pads do show better in person. I guess the “negative space” will just have to be the space between the roots!

View attachment 212116
It's not a helmet at all. I really like what you've done with this guy.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 212116
This being your first styling for this tree, what would you say are your long term plans for the tree? Are you going for more individual pads? It does seem to be a bit “Helmet” like. But, my experience with pines is nil, and you very well may have a long term master plan that negates that effect. This isn’t a knock to the tree as I really like it. But IMO your most recent pine thread and the pine pictured above are more appealing to my eye.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This being your first styling for this tree, what would you say are your long term plans for the tree? Are you going for more individual pads? It does seem to be a bit “Helmet” like. But, my experience with pines is nil, and you very well may have a long term master plan that negates that effect. This isn’t a knock to the tree as I really like it. But IMO your most recent pine thread and the pine pictured above are more appealing to my eye.
There are many “styles” of bonsai. Even within pines. The exposed root semi-cascade JWP style (lol!!!) generally follows the formula that my tree has. But there ARE pads, but tough to capture properly in a photo. (Well, a good photographer could probably do a better job!). Also, as I alluded to earlier, next spring, when the new shoots open, they’ll set better. The informal upright tree with the blue-ish foliage creates those beautiful pads, but I had to wire it out to make it happen. This tree will be more like that in a year.

I have seen some pines wired so that there are no pads at all! Truly a green helmet! I don’t care for that styling, although some do.

My JBP looks like a green helmet right now! Check it out:

46A23467-750C-4F26-AF2B-879F536F974D.jpeg

Believe it or not, there’s pads of foliage in those furry needles! I’m giving it a year off without decandling so it can gain vigor.

A couple years ago, it looked like this:

D438764C-1E05-4355-B7FB-99DD876FB517.jpeg

And, as you can see, it’s ALL pads! Just very dense and full.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are many “styles” of bonsai. Even within pines. The exposed root semi-cascade JWP style (lol!!!)

Awww yes. That style of course!

I can see the pads in this tree and I figured over time they’d be more distinguishable, considering its new to you. With more time and experience I’m sure a “green helmet” will get to me more, but I don’t mind it so much. I do prefer though a distinguishable image of pads. I think what I love most about the pines I’ve seen online and posted here by yourself and @Brian Van Fleet is that natural tendency for new growth to point upwards. It’s so striking to see all of those vertical lines atop ramified branching. Can’t wait to own one for myself. In good time I suppose.

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Just finished wiring it out. Pretty challenging wiring. Even more challenging styling!

Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU for posting this!!! I have a semi cascading exposed root mugo pine with multiple branches that I was completely lost on when it comes to styling. Now I have found my muse. I'll let you know how it turns out... in 5-10 years ;)

Top Bottom