Neglected but very nice Juniper

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey guys-- found a nice juniper I feel has a lot of potential on my property. Never knew it was there! Anyway, I'm in Colorado, 6800', wondering if this thing can be collected now? If not, when would be a better time? Thanks!

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I am firm believer you "can" collect most any tree most any time if given proper after care. With juniper, proper after care is going to be misting and lost of babying if collecting mid summer normally. So, if your question is "is it possible"? Sure, in a pinch it is "possible".

If your question is "when is the BEST time to collect it"- probably asking someone closer to your area would give you a more specific date range, but my best advice for your area is late Spring, after most danger of a hard freeze has passed. At 6800 feet I have no clue when that would be exactly... Normally I would say Spring or Fall for my region, but I am sure your winters can be brutal, so I doubt collecting trees in fall in your area is really advisable.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am firm believer you "can" collect most any tree most any time if given proper after care. With juniper, proper after care is going to be misting and lost of babying if collecting mid summer normally. So, if your question is "is it possible"? Sure, in a pinch it is "possible".

If your question is "when is the BEST time to collect it"- probably asking someone closer to your area would give you a more specific date range, but my best advice for your area is late Spring, after most danger of a hard freeze has passed. At 6800 feet I have no clue when that would be exactly... Normally I would say Spring or Fall for my region, but I am sure your winters can be brutal, so I doubt collecting trees in fall in your area is really advisable.

I do not know how much it would help, but photographs would help and please those of us interested enough to comment on this thread.

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Late fall or early spring are common times to dig wild material. But with it on your property I'd set up a drip irrigation system right next to the base of the tree. Water it once per week from now until nearing the first hard frost. (or perhaps thunderstorms do this for you?) Then dig it up when the ground has thawed next spring. You can dig in the fall but then you have to be very careful about protecting the roots from a hard freeze since they will be starting to grow as it is getting cold. I believe most collecting done in the fall requires a warm grow house for winter.

Listen to me giving advice to someone in a totally different climate. I'll shut up now.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Late fall or early spring are common times to dig wild material. But with it on your property I'd set up a drip irrigation system right next to the base of the tree. Water it once per week from now until nearing the first hard frost. (or perhaps thunderstorms do this for you?) Then dig it up when the ground has thawed next spring. You can dig in the fall but then you have to be very careful about protecting the roots from a hard freeze since they will be starting to grow as it is getting cold. I believe most collecting done in the fall requires a warm grow house for winter.

Listen to me giving advice to someone in a totally different climate. I'll shut up now.

Well yeah... I kind of felt the same way- I just wanted somebody to post some help for the guy...

Would you also recommend he go ahead and pop a shovel in the ground and make a little circle around the root base at this point but the leave the tree in ground for now to encourage root development closer to the base of the trunk? I have seen people recommend that before, but never done a collection in an area I owned with a tree that was large enough to warrant such treatment... I suppose as Vance said- a pic to show the size and shape of the tree would help answer whether that was needed or not...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would do all the wild styling while on all its own roots.

Get a lot of work done. Watering it is a good idea.

Collect it way later. Spring 15 16 even. Less you're moving.

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Sometimes with Junipers you can tell by looking at them if there is something going on with the tree the owner is looking to ignore, or deny.

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've collected mostly Utah junipers from elevations ranging 6500-8500 feet in California. I've lifted them in spring (May) and fall (late september-early october.) There are many differences between my experience and the questioners situation.

I am taking the tree from a cold climate to one where there is no frost or sub-40F temps all winter. The roots get cut and put into pumice and then start growing in cool humid conditions for months before spring comes and the tree starts to pick up speed.

For this situation my instinct says to go now, cut a large root or two (assuming there are 5-6 or more) and then begin irrigating around the cuts and close to the trunk. Backfill with bonsai soil and start to treat it like a bonsai even though it's still attached to long roots that are sourcing water an nutrient to get it through the transition. Insulate the roots from cold temps as well as possible (mulch! or perhaps even a heating coil like giant pumpkin growers use.) In the spring, when the ground is thawed go out and check for fine roots near the trunk in the bonsai soil area. If there are small roots then excavate to cut all the remaining large roots and transition into a pot. If there are not wait a couple months and check again until you find lots of small roots near the trunk.

It should be a much more sure thing than a straight dig if you do it right.

Good luck.

Top Bottom