Neglected hokkaido elm

Reaction score
I got a Hokkaido Elm out of the trash at work. Its in bad shape but has some green growth and it is budding! I need to know how to help it get healthy again. I think it was being overwatered. Should i prune the naked branches even if they have tiny green spots on them? Should i repot it and replace the soil? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190423_203030_HDR.jpg
    20190423_203030_HDR.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 114

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hokkaido elms like plenty of sun. Your profile doesn’t state where in the world you are, but if it was mine, I would not repot it this year, and would let it grow wild and gain strength this year. It should be big and bushy by fall.

By next spring, you should have had enough time with it to pick a trunk line. You can prune this back to a trunk and regrow a respectable set of branches in a year or two. Be careful with wire, these are very brittle.

Nice pickup, nothing like that turns up in any dumpster where I work!

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Those tiny little green spots in the branches and trunk are most likely swelling buds. My Hokkaido is usually the last one of my trees to wake up in Spring. Follow Brian's advice and let it be this growing season.

Top Bottom