Reaction score
I fished a mugo pine bonsai from the trash at the nursery i work at. Im wondering how to get it back to being healthy. Its a good size, almost all the needles are yellow and falling off. There is new green growth and there is sap in the buds(i plucked one off). I know its not dead but im wondering if i should take all the yellow needles off or any necessary pruning. Repotting and water recommendations aswell. This is my first bonsai so i will be thankful for any information.

Attachments

• 20190423_201940_HDR-1.jpg
    20190423_201940_HDR-1.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 20190423_201946_HDR.jpg
    20190423_201946_HDR.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 67

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Welcome to the forum. Wish you good luck with your first bonsai material. I think you already picked up some needles from the pine. The potting soil should be very well draining. Let it grow in free draining soil and feed them on schedule with liquid fertilizer or any pellet organic fertilizer. Don't prune it and let it grow freely for couple of years before deciding the final style of the pine.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Search through posts by @Vance Wood on here. You'll find plenty of info about mugos. Your main focus for this tree should be getting it healthy first and growing strong for several years before thinking about any styling decisions.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any loose needles can go. All green ones needed. Lots of sun and fertilize(chemical/fast acting)careful just right amt of H2O. Not wet not dry;). Don't repot this year just keep alive. Please add location to profile.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like you gree this out to be @just.wing.it s new Mugo.!

Question.....why....in the hell....is a Mugo dying.....at a nursery you.... "work"..... at??

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

PherPhace

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Could be needle blight. It's a fungus that makes them drop needles. You could spray it with copper based fungicide to keep it off the new growth. That may be why it got trashed. To keep it from spreading.

Top Bottom