Neglected tsuga mertensiana

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yesterday I was at a small nurserie close by l, after talking to the owner a bit about my bonsai hobby he took me to the back were he keeps his cripple trees and shrubs unfit for landscaping but interesting for bonsai so a good contact for future purchases!
I bought a big yew and since it was a nice fellow he gifted me three other plants he was unable to sell for a while now among this free stuff was this neglected tsuga mertensiana (mountain hemlock?)

I actually don't know anything about these specie's beside they are not native to the Netherlands so that's where this thread is for so I can improve my knowledge about them to provide the propper care and also will be able to think of the future in a realistic way I'll pop some questions that came to my mind cleaning the debris from the poor thing since I value the nice gesture of the owner I want to give this thing a shot so I can show it to him some time what I've done to it!

Questions:
1: roots, how do they handle root work?
2: backbudding, do they backbud on old wood?
3: wiring, how do they handle wiring?
4: soil, no not the components but dryer like pines or a little more moist?
5: airlayering, are they airlayer able?
6: placement, full sun, morning sun then shade or shade?

That's it for now here are some pics
I'm not sure if I'd ever bought this but it was a gift so I'll give it a go.

As it came with me weeds included:
IMG_20190815_170451.jpg

IMG_20190815_170438.jpg

After cleaning the weeds and lots of dead twigs/foliage with beercan for scale.
IMG_20190815_183608.jpg

Foliage, trunk, base
IMG_20190815_183500.jpg
IMG_20190816_160628.jpg
IMG_20190815_183331.jpg
IMG_20190815_182221.jpg
IMG_20190816_160643.jpg

First thing will be getting it back to good health.

Additional info on the health of the tree:
found loads of ants in the pot,
it's in a burlap in the pot,
been watered every once in awhile but has not been fed for a while like I said it's neglected but those days are over!

Any help and info on this one is highly appreciated

Reaction score
Hemlocks don't back bud. Nor do they like very hot temps. (Aka shade during hot part of day). Don't like drying out at all.
Where I live, mtn hemlocks live in the higher mtn areas where they are surrounded by snow for 6-9 months of the year. Google the species and look for pics. They can become very contorted in nature.
Best of luck. Cheers.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@River's Edge I noticed you have experience too and also posted a couple inspiring works in progress!
do you know how they respond on airlayering?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@River's Edge I noticed you have experience too and also posted a couple inspiring works in progress!
do you know how they respond on airlayering?
Hi Defra, one of my favorite species for Bonsai. They are native in this area and are generally found at higher elevations in mountainous areas. Your general climate should be fine with the proper care and considerations. Tree's that were taken in warmer zones ( california)did not do well over time. One caveat would be if you are in an area of salt spray.
Your recovery will be a difficult one for the following main reason. Hemlocks are not fond of repotting, most are lost in this process when they are in a weakened condition.
Now to the details!
They rely on the fine feeder roots near the surface, repotting should ideally be done in sections, bottom first, then subsequently 1/3 of the circumference at a time. I prefer to do so in pie type sections. If you imagine the area divided in nine sections like a pie. I do three at a time.
Alternating every third section. So the process is the bottom and center core first. next repotting time 3 of the 9 sections. And so forth. This means removing the native soil and completing a repot over a longer period. Do not bare root this species unless it is an emergency and you can put them in pure pumice afterwards with a humidity tent.
In your situation i would strengthen the tree,s with careful watering and weak fertilization until the spring. Then i would adapt the above repotting process for nursery stock. Use a flat container such as an anderson flat for repotting. Prefer a 12 to 15 cm depth for recovering trees. Work the bottom first by untangling as many bigger roots as possible and removing as much nursery soil as possible up into the centre core under the trunk. Leaving the upper area on the outer circumference alone. Remove all dead or unhealthy looking roots. Pack the center and between the roots with pumice or bonsai mix. Tease out the edges of the upper root ball and introduce your substrate between the teased out roots. Secure the tree carefully. ( new feeder roots need to be protected from movement)
Keep the trees in morning sun and shade in the afternoon. They love to be misted regularily and will respond well to spraying down with a gentle rinse. They can be prone to insect problems when weak and kept in crowded conditions so i would carefully examine and treat accordingly.
They need to stay damp not wet. Do not like drying out for any length of time. They are very strong once established!
Other notes:
Not known to back bud. Retain as much inner foliage as possible make sure it is not shaded out by other foliage.
Wire in the dormant season works best. Takes a while for branch position to set and wire to bite in. Often have to take wire off and reapply several times before style is set. ( for this reason suggest copper wire ) Aluminum is not strong enough for this species.
I follow the age old adage of a bit deeper pot for this species. My preference is around 8 to 10 cm depth ( healthy maintenance)
Foliage reduces down easily and they form beautiful pads for styling. Natural form is downswept branches with foliage turning up at the ends.

I have not attempted an airlayer but they do commonly produce new roots when buried deeper for a long period of time. If you wish to attempt this then get the trees very vigorous first. You may consider a proactive fungal treatment as the foliage looks like it could be partially affected with fungal issues unless that is strictly sunburn or salt spray!

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thnx allot for this detailed information frank something to get me started the right way with this new species!

I've heard about the touchy roots before so good to keep that in mind, the pie slices you describe sound familiar I believe allot of people do this with azalea as well.
The firs step will be removing the burlap in spring totally or partial depending on the root growth trough the bag but that's for spring I'll make sure when fall comes it gets protected against the rain some since I expect the nursery soil to be a wet mud for some months otherwise which is not good for any tree!

The browning is most likely due to the hot weather we had and poor caretaking at the nurseries.
I couldn't find any bugs but just in case I will treat the tree with something systemic against pests and diseases!

I wondered about airlayering because it now is a slingshot and the part where the trunk splits into two is thicker then the base, maybe there is a tall slender two trunk in there but as said it gotta get healthy first in the 4 years I'm into bonsai I learned to be patient so I'll go slow on this one!

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I got a hemlock last year for my birthday. It was a collected tree turned out to be 2 trees in one pot. I live in hemlock country and I repotted both last spring and got fairly vigorous growth on one, and crazy strong on the other. Both seem to have tolerated repotting from the nursery very well. The smaller one went directly into a bonsai pot, the other into an Anderson flat. Both are going strong. I’m really impressed with the species for bonsai. The small foliage is beautiful and in great scale for bonsai.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oh do you think foliar feed will add anything in a positive way recovering a tree in this condition?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
airlayering because it now is a slingshot and the part where the trunk splits into two is thicker

Maybe not bad idea. IF first 2 branches grow well they could be your new very interesting trunk and first branch and layer above and other trunk if really wanting to. Is burlap unbound from around trunk? If is not please do this as will constrict trunk. Also be aware "soil" inside burlap may be clay and not much use developing new rootball;).

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Maybe not bad idea. IF first 2 branches grow well they could be your new very interesting trunk and first branch and layer above and other trunk if really wanting to. Is burlap unbound from around trunk? If is not please do this as will constrict trunk. Also be aware "soil" inside burlap may be clay and not much use developing new rootball;).

Yeah thnx was looking at that too that is the smallest tree in there, burlap is open from above and away from the trunk, soil in the burlap looks like sand, but wouldn't be suprised if it is clay more down in there I will see in spring 2020

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They rely on the fine feeder roots near the surface.

Look at this pics, it prove you are right ;)
I was just checking up on this one, no more browing occured at the needles at least it looks that way.

This tree with pot was realy heavy for its size that and the fact that i am familiar with conifers burlaped and potted made me decide to gently lift of out the pot to inspect the roots.

The following images come forth by that inspection i know it is not the right time but i decided to do an emergency repot i will let the pictures speak for themselves

@River's Edge
The healthy roots are indeed in the top layer as jou said.
20190901_000520.jpg

20190901_000527.jpg

Botom half did only contain way to wet clay and some dead rotten roots, i sawed off 1/3 of the clay mass.

20190901_000717.jpg20190901_000729.jpg

I removed as much Clay and some pieces of almost decomposed burlap as i could
This is a example of the dead parts:
20190901_001508.jpg

20190901_002806.jpg

Teased out the sides and left the good looking part of the rootball as it was and potted it up in a sligtly wider but shallower container and filled it up with good draining but retentive soil, il hope for the best.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Look at this pics, it prove you are right ;)
I was just checking up on this one, no more browing occured at the needles at least it looks that way.

This tree with pot was realy heavy for its size that and the fact that i am familiar with conifers burlaped and potted made me decide to gently lift of out the pot to inspect the roots.

The following images come forth by that inspection i know it is not the right time but i decided to do an emergency repot i will let the pictures speak for themselves

@River's Edge
The healthy roots are indeed in the top layer as jou said.
View attachment 260258

View attachment 260259

Botom half did only contain way to wet clay and some dead rotten roots, i sawed off 1/3 of the clay mass.

View attachment 260269View attachment 260270

I removed as much Clay and some pieces of almost decomposed burlap as i could
This is a example of the dead parts:
View attachment 260271

View attachment 260272

Teased out the sides and left the good looking part of the rootball as it was and potted it up in a sligtly wider but shallower container and filled it up with good draining but retentive soil, il hope for the best.
Well done! Aftercare is important, i like to mist Hemlock frequently after repotting. Due to the time of year, you should still have time for root recovery. Besides most of what you removed was not helping the plant! I would protect from hard freezes this winter and do expect some needle drop from the disturbance.

Top Bottom