Neptune's Harvest (2-3-1) or Alaskan (5-1-1) Fish Fertilizer?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
One has higher Nitrogen so should give more rapid growth. Good for fast growing younger plants but probably not so good for flowering species.
The Neptune's harvest has quite high P levels. your plants probably can't use that much P but should not actually hurt the plants unless you have some of the few P sensitive species.

I checked application rates. Alaskan recommends rates around 4 times as strong as the Neptune's but the relative price is much cheaper so Alaskan ends up giving better value per dose and more N for growth from that dose.

Probably not a lot of difference overall. They will both grow plants. Neither appears to have much in the way of trace elements so you should consider using either in conjunction with other fertilizers to balance the entire nutrient spectrum your plants will need.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am in the habit of using Neptune's Harvest. I know it is fish and seaweed but I think Alaskan does not have seaweed as I recall from the labels a couple years ago. Neptune's Harvest uses enzymes to digest (break down) the solids whereas Alaskan cooks the whole mess into a gooey jell that is liquefied.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I also use Neptunes. I prefer a bit more balance to the ratios, then high nitrogen

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
also use Neptunes. I prefer a bit more balance to the ratios, then high nitrogen
This has been discussed before. many people believe 'balance' means 'equal' but in plant terms balance really means the ratio that plants use the nutrients. Plants do not use equal parts of the 3 major nutrients so equal numbers is not really a balanced fertilizer. As mentioned above, the P in that mix is way higher than either N or K. Your plants can't use all that P if they don't have enough N or K so some of the P is just wasted.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Many people also think that high N means a lot of growth. That's thinking the wrong way around. Plants need all nutrients to grow so high N and very low P and K still means little growth.
Also more nutrients only help when it is limiting, once it is enough it is enough, adding more doesn't do a thing (or eventually become toxic).

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I started using Neptune’s Harvest last summer in addition to Biogold solid fertilizer. Trees loved it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This has been discussed before. many people believe 'balance' means 'equal' but in plant terms balance really means the ratio that plants use the nutrients. Plants do not use equal parts of the 3 major nutrients so equal numbers is not really a balanced fertilizer. As mentioned above, the P in that mix is way higher than either N or K. Your plants can't use all that P if they don't have enough N or K so some of the P is just wasted.

I dont necessarily mean "equal" as in 4:4:4. However I dont want a fertilizer thats overloaded with nitrogen, particularly for my more developed trees
The neptunes is a good all around ratio that I can use on all my trees

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think raccoons prefer Neptune's and Possum like Alaskan. Skunks & Ground Hogs go both ways.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dont necessarily mean "equal" as in 4:4:4. However I dont want a fertilizer thats overloaded with nitrogen, particularly for my more developed trees
The neptunes is a good all around ratio that I can use on all my trees
I got that.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Skunks & Ground Hogs go both ways.

But they identify as Kangaroos!

I hate Pharrell so I use Alaska. Just Kidding I don't hate Pharrell.

I'd use both with the option, but not alternately, cuz that's like feeding your kids meat on Monday, salad on Tuesday, Milk on Wednesday, Vitamins on Thursday, Beer Friday since why not we're already horrible parents, and all the sugar on Saturday and Sunday.

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
A fertilizer balanced for the needs of plants is:

12-1-4 with Calcium 12, magnesium 3 or 4, sulfur 3 or 2 and the the whole list of micronutrients. Much of the calcium and magnesium needed comes from our water we use to water our bonsai. Municipal and well water systems are often quite high in calcium and magnesium so we don't need to supplement them. Sulfur tends to come from air pollution. Rain will wash significant amounts of sulfur out of the air onto our bonsai pots and supply much of the sulfur our trees need. Nitrogen can also come from air pollution. In fact the old screwed up idea of a low nitrogen, high phosphorous fertilizer need in autumn, came from 1850's to 1890's London, where all the homes were heated with coal. The smog was so heavy in nitrous oxides and various sulfur oxides that rain washed enough nitrogen into the soils that during the heating season no nitrogen was necessary to fertilize London gardens. Research done at Kew in those days worked its way into old gardening books. When London switched to natural gas and electricity, the smog decreased and now if you re-run the experiment, there is no change in the need for nitrogen regardless of season.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Where do you get chelated iron?

If youre feeding heavily, you dont need to apply every time you feed. Once a month is probably enough if you see an issue starting.

I started using it when one of my Japanese white pines started turning yellow. I started using it in the late summer so it took a while but the needles turned back to thier usual green the following year

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Alskan is an emulsion and Neptune's harvest is a hydrolysate. Cold pressed fer lyfe, if you're into the microbiotic stuff. I don't feel like debating anyone (ever) so do your own research .. But .. I only use Neptune's harvest. Plus the "seaweed" they add to the blue one is actually kelp. Which when used as a foliar feed has amazing benefits for bonsai. Again do your own research, plenty of folks on here have suggested that kelp is snake oil. I know that those of us who use it are impressed. @cmeg1 comes to mind here

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

If youre feeding heavily, you dont need to apply every time you feed. Once a month is probably enough if you see an issue starting.

I started using it when one of my Japanese white pines started turning yellow. I started using it in the late summer so it took a while but the needles turned back to thier usual green the following year
Awesome thanks a bunch. I can use this for my podocarpus.

Top Bottom