Net Pots

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've seen these being used for young pines and some smaller maples. Is this to provide better drainage and more oxygen to the roots? Would it be beneficial for all pre-bonsai to be in these? Or at least any time you're developing nebari with larger, coarse soils..?

Randy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yes. Yes. Usually unless you want trunk size instead of root development. Yes.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use plastic rice sifters for pretty much the same purpose... at least, I think that's what these things are supposed to be used for .. sifting something, at least - I never really asked :p

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
these also encourage finer root systems full of fine roots.... as the roots reach the edge of the pot they die back and don't continue on ... this prevents roots from circling pots etc... you can use pond baskets for the same purpose (that is probably what these actually are)

Randy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
these also encourage finer root systems full of fine roots.... as the roots reach the edge of the pot they die back and don't continue on ... this prevents roots from circling pots etc... you can use pond baskets for the same purpose (that is probably what these actually are)

Now my question is.....This would not be good for trees that one would want to grow out because it would rob the tree of maximum top growth?

biglou13

Mame
Reaction score
i have many trees in smart pots (rootmaker). in my book the more input from roots the stronger output of the top growth. as with potting anything there is a lag phase as plant become accustomed to new home. to continue what ang' said as the roots reach the perimeter of basket the are essentially air pruned/ die at tips, this cause roots to proximally, and ramify.

i'm assuming that your going on the thought process that fine roots mass create ramification, and coarse roots cause coarse growth. If a tree/plant has finer/denser rootmass, it will intake more food, water, oxygen resulting in more growth. I can confirm that top growth is better in smarter/air pot, as compared to similar sized traditional pots. This too is dependent on soil mix, watering and feeding practice.

this style of pots can and do break many of the old potting rules, and pot is not the ground rules. I've yet to match the growth rate of ground grown, yet , but still trying.

check this out.
http://www.superoots.com/airpot_work.htm

Last edited:

Randy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Mighty fine answer. Your assumptions were fairly accurate.
Different purposes for different tools.

biglou13

Mame
Reaction score
i'm looking forward to next year, root maker pot grown tree with well populated root mass planted in ground..........

Top Bottom