Never give up..........

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here at work we have a nice Kwanzan cherry tree that I wanted to take some air layers from. So this May I prepared 12 air layers, and patiently waited 8 weeks for the first check. To my disappointment many of the layering's bridged over. I decided to give it another shot so I girdled, brushed some more hormone, and tightly repacked the pots. I went to water the pots today and noticed ROOTS!!!

So these took basically 4 months to root. The branches are fairly old, I would say more than 5yrs. I'm sure if the branches were a year or two they would have pushed out roots a lot sooner.

Don't give up! If you want it to happen it will happen!

20180830_151528.jpg 20180830_151550.jpg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The pots are called "The Rooter Pot". To be honest if I had to do it again, I would just use a plastic bag tied off on each end. These pots dry out way to fast. When it rains they get soaked. The bag method keeps the medium at a constant. The medium should be damp, not dry or soaked.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The pots are called "The Rooter Pot". To be honest if I had to do it again, I would just use a plastic bag tied off on each end. These pots dry out way to fast. When it rains they get soaked. The bag method keeps the medium at a constant. The medium should be damp, not dry or soaked.

I'd not seen those before. I'm way too cheap to do anything but plastic wrap and tinfoil haha.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think they would be good if used in a greenhouse where the environment is controlled. But out in the yard there's just to many variables and with these right outside our office door I can't keep checking on them nonstop. The holes for the branch to get clamped on is only up to a certain size. If you go over that it gets awkward trying to close the pot over the branch. With the bag method you don't have this issue.

If I could go back in time, I would not have bought them.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think they would be good if used in a greenhouse where the environment is controlled. But out in the yard there's just to many variables and with these right outside our office door I can't keep checking on them nonstop. The holes for the branch to get clamped on is only up to a certain size. If you go over that it gets awkward trying to close the pot over the branch. With the bag method you don't have this issue.

If I could go back in time, I would not have bought them.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Quick update, I finally cut the last air layering at work today. This one was untouched for 2 growing seasons. So if you want to air layer this cultivar you're going to have to be patient if it's on old wood.

The others were regirdled this May but unfortunately none made it through the summer.

This branch had 2 air layerings on it 1 took the other didn't. You can see how big the callus is. Next spring I will reattempt to air layer the vertical branch and see what happens. The horizontal branch will be trained to a raft.

20190821_190027.jpg
20190821_190034.jpg20190821_190039.jpg

Attachments

• 20190821_190039.jpg
    20190821_190039.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 47

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mine didn't send out any root after about 2 months. I recut and change the medium from sphagnum moss to bonsai soil last weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20190818_081256.jpg
    IMG_20190818_081256.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom