Never say never...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So sharing a photo I admired with my husband which @Djtommy shared from Kokufu 2021.
20210214_200953.jpg

He questioned why I have none on my bench..

Long drawn out pause before answering...because I would want something with neagari. Because its my weakness. Which most likely I would kill. I was warned to expect to kill a few before I get their horticulture down.

I do not like stacking the deck against me.. I dislike failure more than I care to admit. I like tackling things which I feel I can have success with..

Needle selection...I use also as an excuse..but one could have a smaller tree. Wouldn't be so bad.

Who knows...I doubt I ever have one. But as @MrFancyPlants recently revealed to me...never say never.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
To clarify, sometimes it is just fine to say “never.” My comment was mearly a catchy way to say,“I told you so.” But, ask my wife, it is so rare that I have the opportunity to participate in such hubris.

You can do it! It is cold enough for them on their own roots around there, right?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
To clarify, sometimes it is just fine to say “never.” My comment was mearly a catchy way to say,“I told you so.” But, ask my wife, it is so rare that I have the opportunity to participate in such hubris.

You can do it! It is cold enough for them on their own roots around there, right?
My trees winter in a controlled cold greenhouse. Temps aren't a concern. But I've always had a few say...they killed many pine before getting horticulture figured out. That to invest in one seems...I fear failure. But I'm also not a beginner...then I think. I would he to conifer.

But...who knows. If I seen the right material for a price I am willing to lose. I may bite. My husband loves conifer bonsai.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Repetition and failure are the mothers milk of education. It is only through these two things that we truly move forward to succeed. Starting something that we know already works only reaffirms the status-quo and learning is subjugated. If at first you don’t succeed......

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Repetition and failure are the mothers milk of education. It is only through these two things that we truly move forward to succeed. Starting something that we know already works only reaffirms the status-quo and learning is subjugated. If at first you don’t succeed......
Well...I like to succeed, don't we all? Failure sucks...

...But I think my husband has pushed me into finding a JWP or... Scots Pine. Even if not neagari. It will be something weird/quirky. I don't do normal.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well...I like to succeed, don't we all? Failure sucks...

...But I think my husband has pushed me into finding a JWP or... Scots Pine. Even if not neagari. It will be something weird/quirky. I don't do normal.
Good that you don’t like normal. Now you need to make friends with failure. 😁😱

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've killed a few trees along the way. But I would rather not make friends with failure. Lol

I believe failure is already a friend, accepting their love is the hard part.

I stay amazed at all your work, so I doubt something a little needleyer will be any different.

I believe pines are harder to convert to small pot, the other stuff about them being "harder" is made up and held over from when we used to think they can be chopped like Deciduous trees.

You'll do fine, plus, he deserves one!😉

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I believe failure is already a friend, accepting their love is the hard part.

I stay amazed at all your work, so I doubt something a little needleyer will be any different.

I believe pines are harder to convert to small pot, the other stuff about them being "harder" is made up and held over from when we used to think they can be chopped like Deciduous trees.

You'll do fine, plus, he deserves one!😉

Sorce

I think...there is something to that. The knowing better, mistakes first done with newbies. We shall see. I'm in no rush to add something to my bench...until I find something that is different. He so point blank asked why I had none...they are his favorite. So on the spot...His encouragement of my hobby. I will go down a path I've pointedly not chosen.

You are to kind...amazed at my work. It's what the tree offers...I'm just along for the ride.

I have tried hard to kick failure to the curb...he and I...have different opinions on life in general.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ― Winston S. Churchill

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Kotobuki Pine grafts JBP are nice head starts and can be found at tree nursery (for landscaping). flaky bark and strong from what i can tell. im hardcutting mine pretty soon, its chilling under 6" of snow right now.

$3200 for this one online lol
1613399659562.png

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Kotobuki Pine grafts JBP are nice head starts and can be found at tree nursery (for landscaping). flaky bark and strong from what i can tell. im hardcutting mine pretty soon, its chilling under 6" of snow right now.
Appreciate that...I most likely will find some pre bonsai stock. With covid...I won't be lingering in a nursery. I'm considered high risk...I'm hunkered down at home. Love our hobby...great past time.

Top Bottom