Never use an angle grinder without a guard (as shown in photo)

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Product gallery photos are supposed to show you the product in action. This should be a "DON'T" photo. It is inherently dangerous to use a carving blade in an angle grinder. It is sheer IDIOCY to use a carving blade without a guard. It's obvious that this is a bad Photoshop hack.

81bzmiUHvjL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm not recommending this purchase. Good carbide blades never cost under $20. Also, there is a review written in German that speaks to the low quality of the teeth. I'm not even giving out the link to this.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
A quick search and you will find multiple fatalities caused by the angle grinder.
Who told you about those people? Who's been talking about me?

Here is someone using an angle grinder with a chainsaw attachment. It doesn't end well for his hand. Ironically, his channel name is Stumpy Nubs:

This is me using the same tool without incident:

Someone named Matt Holland commented on one of my videos that I talk too much about safety. Well, I'm showing people how to incorrectly use tools with dangerous attachments. The chainsaw attachment has since been banned in the United Kingdom. Sorry, Matt Holland, I'll keep talking safety.

hampton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think folks should stick to carving tools for carving. I was going to link to the Stumpy Nubs video, very informative.

He outlines the kickback potential based on the portion of the wheel that is making contact - fairly low margins of error can send the tool in unpredictable directions. I do a lot of woodworking and the chainsaw grinder wheel is not on my list.

That said if it’s a level of risk you’re willing to accept they certainly remove material.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My initial reaction when I read the title

Attachments

• 8A92AF88-EB0C-4FB5-9612-F64393A403A5.gif
    8A92AF88-EB0C-4FB5-9612-F64393A403A5.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 36

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Someone named Matt Holland commented on one of my videos that I talk too much about safety. Well, I'm showing people how to incorrectly use tools with dangerous attachments. The chainsaw attachment has since been banned in the United Kingdom. Sorry, Matt Holland, I'll keep talking safety.
Talk too much about safety? Wowser!

Sorry to be sarcastic. yet I’ve seen so many industrial and home tool accidents over the past 70 years it makes my head hurt.

One guy with his arm blown off, essentially amputated when he air tested a pipe system (vs water tested). He was lucky the surgeons were able to reattach the arm and get most of his motion back. Big bills followed.

In another my across the street neighbor cut the top of his finger off when he ran a piece of wood through a table saw…. push tools were beyond his kin. Insurance company refused to pay at first. And on and on.

In my former trade, military salvage diving, we have a saying, “There are old divers and bold divers… but no old, bold divers.”

Yet there are always people that insist on being ‘accidents waiting to happen’

DSD sends

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is someone using an angle grinder with a chainsaw attachment. It doesn't end well for his hand. Ironically, his channel name is Stumpy Nubs:

I have one of those, used it twice to re-carve a huge African mortar that a friend brought after her tour over there. It was very rough carved and she wanted to use it for mashing food, and there was no way she was going to be able to use it and not have pieces of food stuck in it rot away. I always wear my heave nomax gloves when carving, and I was really not too comfortable in using this wheel, but it was the only thing I was able to find that will carve what I needed. It was way too deep for my spoons.

I think I may buy one of those mini-chainsaws for future projects. I did ended up buying a wheel similar to this one while it doesn't hog as much material as the chainsaw, it gives me a similar round profile.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just looking at that photo is making me wince. Are they kidding me? It almost has to be a joke...

I did ended up buying a wheel similar to this one while it doesn't hog as much material as the chainsaw, it gives me a similar round profile.

Yeah I have the same wheel. It removes a lot of material and leaves you with a softer profile:

wheel.jpg

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Who told you about those people? Who's been talking about me?

This is me using the same tool without incident:

I'm still surprised that you can walk into Home Depot and buy a chainsaw and not a single person will ask you if you plan on cutting unsecured logs in your yard while wearing shorts.

Haven't killed myself yet...but the angle grinder vid is making me question my life choices thus far.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think I may buy one of those mini-chainsaws for future projects. I did ended up buying a wheel similar to this one while it doesn't hog as much material as the chainsaw, it gives me a similar round profile.

Are you talking about those pistol-grip chainsaws like the Stihl GTA 26? Not a single one of these look powerful enough to carve out hollows in wood.

If you're talking about the Bosch EasyCut Nano, that damn thing looks like a toy.

My problem with mini-chainsaws is that they require chain oil. That's going to end up soaking into either the heartwood of live tissue or in the deadwood. Neither looks like a problem I want to face.

Putting a chainsaw chain on an angle grinder may be a very dangerous and phenomenally stupid idea, but the chain does not need oil and it is a seriously hungry tool. The video where Stumpy Nubbs almost cuts off his fingers shows him using the blade incorrectly. He has the angle grinder "inside" his arms. The motor of the tool is under his upper arm. Carving trees requires us to place the tool in front of us. It's a "safer" position. Still likely to cut something important off your body, but less likely than tucking the motor up near your body.

My recommendation to anyone more intelligent than myself is to go with the burr-grinder wheel. The worst you can do is scoop out a little bit of your flesh. It'll take longer than the chainsaw wheel, but shorter than a trip to the ER.

"I'll now carve a hollow into the tree using an angle grinder with a chainsaw wheel. Be warned. The front row is a splash zone."

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Sorry to be sarcastic. yet I’ve seen so many industrial and home tool accidents over the past 70 years it makes my head hurt.

One guy with his arm blown off, essentially amputated when he air tested a pipe system (vs water tested). He was lucky the surgeons were able to reattach the arm and get most of his motion back. Big bills followed.

In another my across the street neighbor cut the top of his finger off when he ran a piece of wood through a table saw…. push tools were beyond his kin. Insurance company refused to pay at first. And on and on.

In my former trade, military salvage diving, we have a saying, “There are old divers and bold divers… but no old, bold divers.”

DSD sends
Yeah, I've seen my fair share of industry accidents happen too.
Nothing bloody but I've seen a teacher being turned in a proverbial vegetable in a matter of two hours (chemical vapor exposure) and I've seen a kid get chemically sterilized by another student because she forgot to mark and clean a transparent chemical spill on a working counter.

Just today my trainee developed a weird rash all of a sudden. After leaning on a lab table (wearing protective gloves and a coat). The person who worked there before her today, is now at home spoonfeeding her child with those same bare hands.. Because she just doesn't like the feel of nitrile rubber gloves.
So today my trainee learned: This is why we treat every piece of equipment and every piece of furniture inside a lab as contaminated. No exclusions, no exceptions.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yeah, I've seen my fair share of industry accidents happen too.
Nothing bloody but I've seen a teacher being turned in a proverbial vegetable in a matter of two hours (chemical vapor exposure) and I've seen a kid get chemically sterilized by another student because she forgot to mark and clean a transparent chemical spill on a working counter.

Just today my trainee developed a weird rash all of a sudden. After leaning on a lab table (wearing protective gloves and a coat). The person who worked there before her today, is now at home spoonfeeding her child with those same bare hands.. Because she just doesn't like the feel of nitrile rubber gloves.
So today my trainee learned: This is why we treat every piece of equipment and every piece of furniture inside a lab as contaminated. No exclusions, no exceptions.
Holy shit do you work in a meth lab?

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Are you talking about those pistol-grip chainsaws like the Stihl GTA 26? Not a single one of these look powerful enough to carve out hollows in wood.
Bill, I was able to use the Bosh when I was overseas, I wanted to buy one but decided to wait till I got back here... a bad idea, nobody sells it, and it is too darn expensive to import. It is a decent tool. I am also doubtful of the wave of Chinese 4" and 6" handhelds, but Milwaukee has a 6" in their M12 Fuel series of cordless tools.

One thing I now need to consider is what you mentioned above... I didn't count on the oil from the blade. But I think that could be worked on using some natural oil?

Vegetable oil?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You gotta just blink fast.🤫

Sorce

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

DSD sends
The old and bold saying has been going around for many many decades among pilots (or any particularly risky endeavor).

I wouldn't be surprised if ERs didn't invest in companies that manufactur saws, like dentists giving out candy. Keeps em in business. 😂

Top Bottom