New Acer Palmatum "Butterfly"

Jan Krhut

Seed
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I hope you are all doing well.
Let me introduce you my little acer palmatum. I bought it last summer, did the major prunes in the fall and repotted it couple of weeks ago. Obviously, we have a long journey ahead of us but I’m curious to hear your thoughts on it and ideas on what to improve. The plant was not what you’d call a healthy tree and hence I got it for just 25 euros, which I thought was quite a deal. Due to it not being the healthiest, I left few of the branches untouched and was a little bit conservative during the repot. That is why the long straight branch is left on the trunk and why the full nebari (that is actually decent) is not uncovered. I plan to wire/shorten/cut off some of these straight branches this coming fall.
Also, it is the cultivar called “Butterfly”, that does not seem the most suitable for bonsai. At least it seems like many people think that but I cannot find the reason why… Does any of you BBB (Big Bonsai Brains) know? The tree does not seem to be grafted or the graft is not visible (the discoloration in the bark is caused by it being buried in soil almost halfway up the trunk).
What I envision for the tree is something like that old english oak style…
Happy to hear all your ideas on where to take it from now on.
Have a wonderful spring, Jan.

Chosen Front:
Front2.jpg
FRONT.jpg

Rear:
Rear.jpg

Sides and a pen for reference:
Side1.jpgSide2.jpgref..jpg

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice, and it looks like it wasnt grafted, or if it was it was long time ago and done really well.
Good find, best of luck with development.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There is something about the variegated leaves that gets the less desirable mark, I'm not sure why that is. Probably something a Japanese master wrote on a stone tablet...😃

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Not only are the leaves variegated but they're also slightly contorted. The Japanese seem to prefer leaf pads that are neatly defined, which is less the case with cvs like 'Butterfly'.

To me, one of the best features of 'Butterfly' is its autumn colours that are rather unusual : the best years, they're almost in shades of mauve.

Top Bottom