New Acquisition - Bougainvillea

BzTouring

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I was given a neglected bougainvillea bonsai but I am happy with my gift because I believe it has a good frame. I will examine its roots carefully when repotting but it appears that part of the nebari has decayed. There is also branch rot.
Boogie View 1.jpg

Diagram 2 gives an idea of my plan, that is, to use the curved branch as the main one and add a jin or two. The marked sections are to be removed.
Boogie_View_1a.gif

Although I have earmarked the top branch for removal since it runs almost parallel to the main branch, I am not sure if the entire branch needs to be removed or just the parallel portion.

If I do remove the entire structure, can I create a semi-cascade style by raising the main branch?

I would be grateful for any input in the reshaping.

BzTouring

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Thank you. This plant has not been maintained for a long time. Several of its roots had penetrated the pot and were in the ground. There was such a thick one that I had to use a looper to cut it so I can remove the plant.

I have only been part of this art for about 2 months and have been trying to learn as much as I can to identify a good bonsai, and how to create and maintain one. While there may be several ways to reshape it and may be an easy fix, as a beginner this piece is a challenge to me. I really don't want to "mess" things up.

Any suggestions for improvement or cleaning up?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I believe you are in Barbados. Nothing in your profile but location can be crucial for good advice.
I cannot grow bougie here - too cold in winter but I believe the wood is soft so maybe jin is not such a good idea. Soft wood and slow healing of scars may be what is causing issues with the roots and branches. That will normally stop when it reaches living wood but pruning back to live tissue and sealing cuts will also help.
The tree looks like it has potential and your basic plan has merit. As far as I can work out, bougie main attraction is the flowers so plan a shape that will display the flowers to best potential.

BzTouring

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
Thank you. I have updated my profile.

I will have to research bougainvilleas to make sure I know the best way to care them. It is a very popular hedge plant on the Island which needs regular pruning but no extra watering. However, I am not familiar with it as a bonsai. Will look into the rotting.

Top Bottom