New Addition to my tree family! Native too!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I had to make a quick trip to the local Walmart this morning for some heartburn pills, nowhere else open at 6am and I was fresh out!
I strolled through the garden section, as a matter of habit....any place with plants.....I'm looking at them.
Was surprised to find this!
IMAG3312.jpg
Why not buy myself a Father's Day gift...? $11....c'mon...I ain't passing that up.
Happy Dad's Day, BTW to all you breeders out there!

Trunk has been chopped and healed once or twice...
Once on this side, fully healed over...
IMAG3313.jpg
And this side has a large scar that may have been a branch, or a trunk, not sure...almost healed over....
IMAG3314.jpg
Here's the whole thing...
I'm 6' 1", so it's about 6 foot 3 inches....
And Jack seems to like it already!
1497783512462-1179472619.jpg 1497783576643-1560857179.jpg
So....I don't know much about the Bald Cypress....other than, it's a MD native, which I'm happy to have!
I'll be reading up on these trees soon...but please, give me some advice!
Should I chop it again?
Let it grow?
Tub of water, escape roots?
I'm open to anything!
Thanks for looking!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These beauties don't grow up north, but man do I love them! I will follow this thread as the more experienced cypress growers help you out. I have a small one I am growing, fun trees!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hear ya, I prefer these guys over dawn redwoods I think. They seem so tough from what I have seen other members here post.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome score, I love them!!! I grew up looking at mature one's on the James river. I think I love them too much, they're probably the number 1 tree I kill most, I don't know why... I have one right now still in a nursery pot just growing out, it has a lot of kinks down low!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Is this a named cultivar or the species Taxodium distichium? That first chop site looks suspiciously like a graft union.
Oh....
Well yes it is.
That what the tag says.
It that a special variety that the commonly graft to something else?
I suppose it could be a graft, looking again...

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
T. distichum is the species name for Bald Cypress... named cultivars like T. distichum 'Cascade Falls' will be grafted onto the species which is used as the root stock. Did you peel the outer sales sticker off to reveal the original price tag?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
These beauties don't grow up north, but man do I love them! I will follow this thread as the more experienced cypress growers help you out. I have a small one I am growing, fun trees!
They used to be native to this part of the country till the assent of the Glaciers. After the retreat of the glaciers the Bald Cypress was eliminated from this part of the country. Michigan and the upper midwest. There is a natural stand I believe in the Southern part of Illinois.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
T. distichum is the species name for Bald Cypress... named cultivars like T. distichum 'Cascade Falls' will be grafted onto the species which is used as the root stock. Did you peel the outer sales sticker off to reveal the original price tag?
This is the original.
14978028410381301702298.jpg

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So, after a little reading, not nearly enough, and knowing how these hot days are on my back deck, I decided on the full sun spot, sitting in a tub of water.
Gonna just let it grow for this year I guess.
Maybe a trunk chop and repot into the good stuff next year.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They used to be native to this part of the country till the assent of the Glaciers. After the retreat of the glaciers the Bald Cypress was eliminated from this part of the country. Michigan and the upper midwest. There is a natural stand I believe in the Southern part of Illinois.

Vance you are correct, there are native stands of bald cypress along the Cache River and in the Shawnee National Forest. This is the northern end of the Ozarks.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That is an awesome score!!!!! Enjoy it!!!!

I would let it grow for now and good call on putting it in a tub of water. I love these one of my favs they are all over FL so much better to look at than palms:mad:

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I never go to Walmart unless it's a last resort but went Saturday and bought the last 2 very similar to yours. I was very surprised to find them clearance price 13.65 ea and 4-5ft tall. About 2 inch trunks. One has a very nice trunk with well healed chops forming a nice taper. The other not so pretty. I chucked them both in my pond immediately. I'm still waiting on the 16 dollar seedling ordered on eBay. Guess I should bit the bullet and went to Wally world sooner.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
IMG_20170617_142830620.jpg IMG_20170617_142907429_HDR.jpg IMG_20170617_142920036.jpg IMG_20170617_144044391.jpg I was thrilled to find these. Tried to buy something here for 50 bucks or so but no luck. The shipping on these would have been more than the 30 bucks spent. Still hate going to Walmart... But maybe have to go more than once a year.

Last edited:

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll be reading up on these trees soon...but please, give me some advice!
Should I chop it again?
Let it grow?
Tub of water, escape roots?
I'm open to anything!
To your original question, I'm not qualified to answer as my first didn't wake up this spring.
Last year it thrived in the pond with soil only 1-2 inches above the water line. Trunk was just over a pencil but more doubled in one season to an inch. Looking forward to working qith this larger stock we found!
http://www.bonsaitoolchest.com/v/vspfiles/caresheets/bald-cypress.pdf

I'm watching for one of the BC Veterans to help us out.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
To your original question, I'm not qualified to answer as my first didn't wake up this spring.
Last year it thrived in the pond with soil only 1-2 inches above the water line. Trunk was just over a pencil but more doubled in one season to an inch. Looking forward to working qith this larger stock we found!
http://www.bonsaitoolchest.com/v/vspfiles/caresheets/bald-cypress.pdf

I'm watching for one of the BC Veterans to help us out.
I appreciate that, thanks a lot!

Top Bottom